Options

I need a new router. WRT1900AC?

TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
So I am in the market to buy a new router. Been leaning towards the WRT1900AC. My home set up includes a HP Proliant N54 Server, a fairly beefy custom built gaming rig, another beefy gaming/htpc rig that I haven't yet but will set up with XMBC and all that jazz, multiple wireless devices(laptop, up to 3 phones, 2 tablets, and possibly a Raspberry Pi for a bedroom tv if I get the XMBX set up going).

I also intend on setting up https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ . Which I'd like to do on the router itself, however from everything I have read when gaming online this isn't ideal.

Anyone have experience with this router in a similar environment? Comments/Complaints about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Personally I use a Netgear AC1900 that I flashed with DD-WRT. I have been running it for over year and it is very stable. There are probably newer version of that Netgear router so I would recommend get a new one that supports DD-WRT and you wont be disappointed.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with iBrokeIT, but any AC routner that can be flashed with DD-WRT is an option. If you don't have a need yet for AC wireless save the money and drop down to the NETGEAR WNDR4500 and flash with DD-WRT.
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating