Waiting for the decision call: how do you feel?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm sure you've been there, you go through three, four interviews, many phone calls and everything is done and the final step is to recieve a call whether you got the job or not. I've waiting for two days, and I think I've remained positive and optimistic, but still a bit stressed icon_sad.gif

How do you handle the wait time, do you find it stressful and impatient?

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    say o'well and keep looking until someone puts money on the table
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    You have to keep looking. Employers don't seem to contact candidates that they won't hire. They leave you wondering until you say screw it.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Yeppers..........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I i'm in the same boat binarysoul.

I've had my second follow up interview with a company this monday. Its between me and 2 or 3 other canidiates. He said he will make his pick by nextweek. I'm nervious and i've been wanting another job now for over 6 months.

What i've done the next day after the interview was send a thank you email and asking to please inform me either way positive or negative. So he want leave me hanging I hate when people do that! grrr icon_evil.gif .

If its only been two days dont fear I dont think thats long enough to come to a conclusion. If you want it wont hurt to email him/her to thank them for the interview and then ask them to inform you either way also.

This way this will give him/her a chance to write any feed back they have to you in their reply.

Its all up to you.

Good luck and wish me good luck also!
    Marcus Williamson
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    mwill you got a good point there.

I do symphatize for your situation coz you dont want to be keep on waiting while there's nothing to wait for. I suggest that dont give up just keep on applying its like a game that the more you apply the more options you got think of it that if they can choose whos in or out you also have the option who got the better deal then that will motivate you to move on. There will always be a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    If you stop applying for jobs while waiting for a call back, then you aren't doing yourself any favors. The other candidates applying for the job are likely applying for other jobs as well, so it's always a good idea to get your name out there and pound the proverbial pavement.

The follow up is always a good idea, especially the day after. Thank them for the opportunity and let them know you look forward to working with them in the future.

In fact, I never even gave my current job a second thought. I applied for a few jobs and had a really strong interview with one company. I could tell by the looks on their faces that they were floored by my qualifications and customer focus. They hired me on right away as their technical support team lead. They were a sad state though, and I did not get along at all with the company president. I left very quickly and was getting ready to hit the bricks hard, that night I had printed up about a dozen resumes and made a list of places to apply at, plus several online applications. The following morning, I received a phone call from a temp agency about another interview I had gone through. I didn't have a lot of confidence in that interview (as I was pretty hung over!) but they wanted me for an 8 week term. Which turned into a 3 month term. Then 6. Then 6. Then full-time. It's been 2.5 years :)

But the key is, don't focus in on one particular job. Spread yourself out and see who shows interest. Just because your waiting for one offer doesn't mean you can't pursue others. Go for it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Some excellent poitns have been mentioned here :) So I did get a call finally advising me that they will get back to me on Tuesday. Is that a good sign?

What i've done the next day after the interview was send a thank you email and asking to please inform me either way positive or negative.

mill, be careful about mentioning 'negative' as it may convey two things: first, they will think you yourself doubt if you're qualified for the job and second that you look at the negative side of things.

I know it sounds strage and sometimes we do think negatively and it's inevitable, but try to at least remain nuetral, if not very optimistc when you send an email. Just a honest opinion :) Best of luck, at least you you're alone.
    Sorry mwill, I made a typo
    Best of luck, at least you you're alone.

I of course meant don't worry, you're NOT alone icon_lol.gif
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    i just interviewed for a sweet job today. my current job is good so i am not worried too much, but the anticipation is a killer, but in the end you either get it or not, just go drink some beers and you will relax. just don't seem too over anxious, thank them for the interview and STOP there, no more...
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    You have to keep looking. Employers don't seem to contact candidates that they won't hire. They leave you wondering until you say screw it.

Amen! LOL icon_redface.gif Don't wait on any one job, before you look at others. I sent my resume in to a local utility company last year. I thought I would have the job in the bag, because I had inside contacts and close friends of the folks doing the hiring, but they never called me. At first It was just that their management was just moving excessively slow in the filtering process. but then a couple of weeks turned into 1 month into 2 and 3 and never got a single call. I got myself all excited over nothing. I will not do that to myself again. I did do some timely follow up. It was just not meant to be., which was good, I literally walked into this job which I love. Fact is, I applied but assumed that I was not going to get it, and so promptly forgot about it. Next thing I know they wanted to know how soon could I start.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been waiting a year for one very big org to make there final decision, which they still have not. Of course I have a job already.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
    So today I contacted the recuriter and he told me that the result of interviews have been [positive] and that they need a few more days. It's a nice job, people are very professional so I want this job.

Do you think to a certain degree I have the job?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would say they liked you if he said it was positive, but why the wait? I think maybe they haven't decided just yet, or they liked one of the other people better and they're talking to him again.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I mentioned this before somewhere so forgive me if I am repeating in this thread.

For this job that I have now, I was interviewed mid November by the manager (really supervisor) and had a technical interview by one of the techs. Things seemed OK, and I was told I should hear something in a week. Two weeks went by and no word. I already was working so I didn't worry about it much. A few days later the supervisor did call to let me know I was still being considered, but that they were doing some re-organizing so it may be a little while longer. A month after the interview, HR called for an interview. I knew I had the job then. After all, I already had the managerial and technical interview, why else would I be interviewed by HR other than as a formality?
    I was right, I got the job. Turns out they were moving the technical department from one complex to the main campus, and were also doing some organizational reconstruction. They wanted me to work the first week of the year but I wanted to wait in giving my then current employer notice until after the first of the year so I wouldn't risk losing benefits, so we compromised that I would start the second week of the year. Turns out they really weren't ready for me then either.

So, don't sweat it. It sounds like things are favorable for you, and it may be internal complications causing a delay.
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Keep applying. I applied and interviewed at a real good job. The interviewer (IT Director) told me he'd call me in 2 weeks but that he would have me back for a second interview, but just had to pass it by the board. No call back, no nothing. I had to call only to be told they hired someone else. I was a moron and stopped applying at jobs. thank God I already have a job...it's just that this job paid nearly double what I'm making. I put all my hope in this job and ended up screwing myself over, I'll never do that again.
    How did you screw yourself over? You took a chance on obtaining a better job with nothing to lose since you already had a job. You should be commended on the attempt.

George Washington didn't give up. Abraham Lincoln didn't give up. Alexander Grahm Bell didn't give up.
    Alan Hicklebob, well who is he? You don't know him because he gave up.
    So I believe the morale of the story is that since finding a job is a fulltime job itself, I shouldn't be going on a vacation assuming I've got a job while in reality I may have nothing. You don't know until you know.

Bottom line, apply, apply, apply until 9:00am of the day you go to your new job.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    and then you keep applying in hopes of finding a better job
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
    Finally I got a call from the employer telling me they selected someone else icon_sad.gif What's really strange is that as of a sudden there are no jobs I can apply. I've been searching for jobs constantly, but suddenly all jobs have gone missing.
    Dude, I got a similar phone call last week. Don't stop looking.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same problem here, no jobs avail...guess you have to wait until the next wave ..
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you may want to write a letter thanking them for the chance. hey, maybe the first pick wont work out ;)
    you may want to write a letter thanking them for the chance. hey, maybe the first pick wont work out ;)

BS. I wouldn't write a Fck you letter, but definitely not a thank you letter. Thank them for screwing me over, That's a very desperate thing to do icon_tongue.gif . binarysoul might think differently though.
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Olajuwon,

That's a really good attitude, NOT. Being professional is not something you only do when you are working, it is anytime you deal with people. I'm not sure "who" screwed you over, but obviously you have some animosity toward a potential employer.

Someone who has no reason to contact you, that you turned down for a job, sends you a thank you for the opportunity and consideration, would put them in a very good position with me as a hiring manager. This kind of behaviour, when used throughout someones business life, will pay back dividends a hundred times over the effort involved. Someone did this to me once after turning them down for a job, and I was a bit set back by the professionalism. I kept their resume, "just in case", and although my first choice worked out (extremely well), I did have the opportunity to pass the resume on to a business associate who eventually hired him.

I am now very good friends with this individual, and we have continued to network with each other since moving on to different companies and jobs.

Setting yourself apart... it does make a difference... and it is easy (and FREE) to adjust your attitude, be honorable, be dependable, and be professional. It is not just your 'technical' skills being interviewed.

Take Care,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Olajuwon wrote:
    BS. I wouldn't write a Fck you letter, but definitely not a thank you letter. Thank them for screwing me over, That's a very desperate thing to do icon_tongue.gif . binarysoul might think differently though.
    I will disagree with you. You are thanking them for their consideration. Their first pick may not work, or they may have another job open almost right away. You may get a call tomorrow morning because they developed a need and remembered you. It would be a shame if a "thank you for screwing me over" letter appeared there before you start. Hiring managers and HR people may also network. If you are nice, you may get good press that you don't know about. If you aren't nice, it is much more likely that you will get bad press.

The adversarial relationship shouldn't be between you and the company, but between the applicants for the job. You are competing against the other applicants, not against the company. You are trying to sell yourself to the company, and the company is shopping around for the best deal. The best salesman (applicant) will get the money.
    Good for you. I don't write thank you letters to companies that don't think I am a good fit. I am ready to move on and the time it would take me to write a thank you letter can be used to apply for another job.
    I don't know how you come to the conclusion that I am unprofessional.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Olajuwon wrote:
    I don't write thank you letters to companies that don't think I am a good fit.
    That the company doesn't think you are a good fit may be a completely wrong assumption. They may think you are a very good fit, but there was just a better candidate for the job.
    Thank them for screwing me over, That's a very desperate thing to do . binarysoul might think differently though.

If an employer doesn't have the time to even send an automatic message lettting those who couldn't be selected that the position is closed, they won't have the time to read a human-typed thank you letters. But if a recruiter actually sits to type you a message saying you weren't selected, you must thank them. Last week I didn't take an offer as it wanted overnight work. Few days later, I got an email from the recruiter that they had closed the position, so as a courtesy I did send them a quick thank you email.

Professional employers never excuse themselves by saying they don't have time to respond to those being interviewed. They always find a way because they're proffessionals. I expect them to be 'professional' and to 'communicate' simply because they always seek job seekers who possess "professionalism" and who can "communicate". So, they must be the first to prove such traits are actually practiced in their workplace and not only put on job postings :)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    If you really liked the company and had some good conversation with them, I would write a thank you letter.
    Although a bit of a departure from letters, it still covers the concepts:

I certainly believe I got my last job because I 'bugged them'. Not in an annoying way, but the HR rep was supposed to connect me with one of the managers but was unable to. Whenever I was in the area, I would stop by and check if I could be fitted in. If no, that was OK and would thank the rep for checking for me.

Granted, she responded to my resume that I submitted for one job there, but she felt I was a better fit in an upcoming position.