Failed Network+ TWICE

DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
So far I have taken the N10-005 exam two times and have failed miserably. The required score to pass is 720 and I have gotten a 700 the first time and 673 the second time.

I am probably going to give up on networking and move on to learning about hardware and operating systems. A coworker told me that I should take the MCP exam before Network+, and it seems he was right. I am probably going to work towards the MCSA: Windows 7 certification and do MCP 70-680/685. Other than that, I am not sure which direction I should go at this point.

Comments

• akboyboyakboyboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your really close to passing, I would definatly finish Network+ before moving on to anything. Try some new study material and see if that helps.
  • DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    How is that close? I got a worse score compared to last time. Perhaps networking isn't a proper career for me.
  • BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would agree with Akboyboy. You have gone this far and you are almost there. Make sure you are passing your practice exams with 95% or better... Make sure you can explain why each choice in the practice question is right or wrong. When you finish the practice review subjects you are weak in so you do not get them wrong in the future. Use quizlet.com and make your own flash cards and make sure you type everything(No cut and paste). Do not give up!
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would agree with what the other have said. You're not far away from passing and it is good to know networking in IT. Even with the Windows 7 exams, you need to know some networking protocols. I would also try using different material. Don't give up on this exam.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try Professor Messer's videos and follow along with the CompTIA objectives. If you can afford it, grab the CompTIA exam guide as well.

On the printouts that you got, what are your weak areas?

Don't give up, you are very close.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to agree with everyone.

Networking might not be your future but you have put the time in to study and now have a good idea of what the test will be like. I would take a month and pick up another resource. Sometimes one author makes more sense then another. You were so close you can definitely do it and put it behind you.

Good Luck!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Failing only twice is no reason to give up. If you want to be in IT, you'll want an understanding of networking and NET+ is one of the best ways to achieve this goal.

How much experience do you have working with the technology? Remember, CompTIA exams are geared toward candidates who HAVE some experience, perhaps take a month or so and get yourself a bit more practice by way of a lab or a mentor with the tools of the trade.

It is disappointing to come so close and not make the passing score, but the math shows you ARE indeed very close. Could be a question, could be 10 questions. Take a look at the paper you received after your exam. This paper should highlight some areas to work on, focus on those first. Continue to review the other areas as well...if it appears on the Objectives, you will need to be aware of it, period.

You do not list a text that you used to prepare, so please provide the materials you used to prepare for this exam as well as provide a general scope of your experience, perhaps folks can make some recommendations?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't give up DissonantData. There's good advice in this thread. You're close to the finish line. There are several people on this site who have failed exams, but the best thing to do is find out your weak areas and focus on them more. I've failed exams before, but once I finally pass it, I have a huge sense of accomplishment. I'm sure you'll get it on the next go around. And you don't have to go into a networking career, but I believe the knowledge you'll gain from the exam will be helpful in other areas you may want to go into.
    I used Mike Meyer's Network+ book and Professor Messer videos along with Exam Cram to study. I generally didn't take notes while using these materials.

I'm still considering doing this exam in the future, but I would like to take a break from CompTIA and focus on what I have learned throughout my volunteer work. Much the the work I was doing was not networking related. It involved understanding Windows 7 and desktop support tasks. I was thinking about taking MCP 70-680/685 exams and then restarting Network+ after I have more work experience.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You don't take notes when you study? Lol? The exams only get harder and starting with bad habits like that are setting yourself up for failure.
    I never was very good at note taking. There is just too much information to be able to determine what is on the exam.
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    So how do you retain all the information? Especially seeing that you got the CompTIA A+ lol. That exam is full of terms and numbers you gotta understand to pass the exam. Makes no sense, how did you pass without notes? icon_silent.gif
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    like what the others have said, don't give up. Your next on the Net+ Podium :). Heck, I'm just started studying for CCENT and I am taking ALOT more notes than what I took for my A+. You will get over the hurdle my friend. :).
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I never was very good at note taking. There is just too much information to be able to determine what is on the exam.

Cool, problem identified, now work on correcting it!
    As far as "too much info....", the exams do not start having less info, it is simply that knowledge builds so, you are not relearning definitions and such. You will get it down but you may need to figure out more specifically what does work for you, audio tapes, rewriting, simply reading aloud, teaching the material to another person, lab work, etc... And/or any combination of all of these.

Stick with the objectives as your guide, there will be nothing beyond these on your exam.

Despite your earlier comment, you are pretty close to passing, just need a little more effort and a little more focus on the weaker areas.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Friend, if you can't even take notes then it means you really don't understand what you are reading. Note-taking is a basic thing you need to know from middle school if you want to do well. I'd suggest you invest time in learning how to take notes.

And every exam has a syllabus or list of objectives. So go to their website and find that material to use as an initial study guide.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't see how note taking is so key. Everyone learns differently.
  • 2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well do you get nervous when taking the test? are you rushing?
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    my 2 cents, get the exam cram series. it has a tear out with distilled facts that is really good 3 to 4 days before the exam, especially in the 15 minutes your sitting before you take the exam.

also if you have a android, get Darril Gibson's app that has the A+, Net +, and Sec + test quizes, flash cards, and other helpful stuff. it helps drill the concepts into your brain, it costs $17.99 on the Android market.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 to what Deathmage said. I used the Exam Cram series for both the A+ and Net+ and I passed both on the first attempt. It helps outline what you need to know for the exam, while still helping you learn the material.
  • BlueRozeBlueRoze Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We had a student here who failed twice and passed it on his third try. We only paid for one, he paid for the rest, but still stuck with it. You just have to figure out where you need to study more. I highly recommend going to CompTIA's website and downloading their PDF that has all of the exam topics. If you focus there (not on what a specific text book tells you too) then you should do well. I have been taking my classes away from relying on just one text and gathering all around knowledge based on what CompTIA says you should focus on. Though, of course, they get much of that study and materials from text books. I don't know how much Safari Books costs for civilians (I get a free subscrption care of the Navy), but they have multiple texts and videos. Might be more cost effictive if you only use it for a few months verse trying to buy a bunch of books. Of course, there is always your local library.
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    markulous wrote: »
    I don't see how note taking is so key. Everyone learns differently.

Absolutely true, but when you're failing tests you should probably consider changing your learning habits.

A lot of learning straight tech is rote memorization. You have to at least make flash cards and pound them away until you know the information.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well what are you interested in? It seems like it is not networking if you are willing to give up that easy. Thats like a future nurse quitting nursing school altogether because she failed anatomy and physiology twice. If you are looking for a career you will find bumps and mountains to climb. Almost everyone here can tell you a story of how they failed, or how they were going to give up but did not. You can get the same stories from anyone in any career.

You are battling a test and that is it. First, get the knowledge down (memorization) Second, study how to pass the test. Learning how to pass a particular test is equally as important as knowing the info in my opinion.

Best of luck 2 u!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was working for a NOC when I failed the CCNA a few times. I interviewed for the configuration/migrations team and was asked did I have the CCNA. I told the hiring manager that I was taking it that weekend and when he heard from my boss that I had passed the exam, he then offered me the engineer spot. Got a position with the SOC after that which also required CCNA. The CCNA also helped me land my current Info Sec spot.

I wonder what would've happened if I gave up after those fails. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Eagle30Eagle30 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everyone on this thread is giving good advice. If I may give some advice of my own, I'd say look back at your pass/fail sheet and see what areas you struggled with. Then study and focus a bit more on the tough areas. Do not neglect all the other areas from your studying. Just narrow your field down for the time being. You are right at that threshold of passing. Do not give in.
  • cjsavescjsaves Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you do Boson tests. They are a good review.
  • phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My advice, and this may sound overkill, but taking classes for or at least studying the CCENT objectives. I honestly think the CCENT material is the only reason I passed Net+ because the current version of the Net+ exam had sims and topics on stuff that was not covered in any Net+ book I read. Even if your thinking of changing directions, a fundamental understanding of networking will be beneficial in any tech position and a cert to prove you have the knowledge never hurts.
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out professor Messer and grab yourself some brain **** Make sure you take good notes and understand the topic for each section. Im sorry A+, Windows certs are just as bad. The net+ is nothing more than basic theory.
  • SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like most people are saying, don't give up man. I failed the A+ the 1st time I took it. I passed the A+ 2nd time. If I quit on the A+ I might as well have just shut the door on my career opportunities in the IT Field. I might not have had any certifications.

Keep studying hard man...
  • romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey sorry to hear about Network +, I had some questions about the exam and am finding it hard to find advice. How was the performance based questions and what do they deal with? I've been studying for the exam for almost 2 months now and don't know anything about the performance based questions, and how to study for them, as I have no previous networking experience.
  • TrifalgerTrifalger Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reference to Safari Books Blue Roze. I remembered my university gave access there and they have the Mike Meyer's Network plus book and many more to study.

Ex-Navy myself btw. Good on you for knocking things out while you're in.