CGEIT vs. CRISC

sr2000sr2000 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
[h=2]CGEIT vs. CRISC[/h]
Howdy, I am debating to go for CGEIT or CRISC exam in December. Looking for additional input from members, I am more leaning towards CGEIT mostly for Value of IT and Governance piece but CRISC due to focus on risk is interesting as well?
Thank you

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both are interesting, which is more relevant to your current position or a position you would like to move into in the future?
  • sr2000sr2000 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    Both are interesting, which is more relevant to your current position or a position you would like to move into in the future?

Good question--- I am responsible for IT infrastructure and Information Security, so both of these certs are valuable but i am pondering to focus more on security, governance/value vs. risk.
    You could always work on both, one after another!
    You could always work on both, one after another!

Which one you would recommend first?
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CGEIT first, then CRISC. Though the CRISC is slighly higher on the top certifications list.

Source: I have all 4 ISACA certs among others.
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    CGEIT first, then CRISC. Though the CRISC is slighly higher on the top certifications list.

Source: I have all 4 ISACA certs among others.

Thanks GoodBishop. Interest, CGEIT first--- I guess because of governance/IT value piece?
    I have registered for CGEIT for December, who else is taking the exam in Dec?
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I am a consultant, I see CISA and CRISC have more valuable than CISM and CGEIT. CISM is good to have, but if you have CISSP, then it would be overlap.

I registered for CISA for December 2014 (2nd attempt), and CRISC for June 2015.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
    Thanks for the recommendations as well GB. And good luck in December/June Cyberfi.

I hoped to take the CISA in December but had to postpone. You mention it is your second attempt, how well did you score the first time around and what was your study method? Everyone seems to recommend using the Q&A DB primarily for ISACA exams (that is what I did for the CISM as well)
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Thanks for the recommendations as well GB. And good luck in December/June Cyberfi.

I hoped to take the CISA in December but had to postpone. You mention it is your second attempt, how well did you score the first time around and what was your study method? Everyone seems to recommend using the Q&A DB primarily for ISACA exams (that is what I did for the CISM as well)

Thanks! I missed by 25 points. I used only Skillports Training, and plus a study note from Amazon.com (poor written, but good information). Since I was never worked full-time in the auditor position. It was hard for me to keep thinking about putting myself into the position as an auditor. It is hard to predict how many correct question rights to determine pass/fail because ISACA use raw score system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is my personal opinion, but I feel that the CGEIT is more "interesting" than the CRISC. The CRISC is a lot about risk, and risk registers, and so forth - it's kind of boring (again, personal opinion). Also, I think it is easier than the CRISC. However, from a "I want to increase my salary" perspective, I would recommend them in this order - CISA (biggest bang for buck), CISM (solid security cert), CRISC (show me the money!), and CGEIT (common sense, people, common sense).
    Thanks for the recommendation, I did the CISM prior to the CISA but I would like to get the other 3 as well and will follow them in your recommended order most likely!
  • FrankMat74FrankMat74 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that quick definition.
    Thanks for your opinion.
    A day left for CGEIT exam, any last minute tip(s) from those who already passed the exam?
    CGEIT exam was easier then what I was expecting. Business alignment, risk and value were some of the areas covered.
    I am confident that I'll pass this exam. Good luck to everyone who took ISACA exams today.

Now starts a long wait of 10 weeks...
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    CISM was pretty much hati expected as well, no surprises, but there were 2-3 that I thought were VERY poorly written/excessively ambiguous. Plus 2 that I literally had no idea what the answer was.

That said, knock on wood, I feel that I probably passed. Definitely didn't feel that way when I took CISA a few years ago, and I passed that one on the first try. So who knows.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • 8octave8octave Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SR200, I am going to say it depends on the oganization you work for and your carreer path. If you work for an org that has no idea how to access risk then IT Audit and Risk are greatly needed, so CRISC first. If the org is incrediblely immature and can't spell COBIT then CGEIT makes sense first, then CRISC, as you will have to sell IT Governance so you can get buy in to assess the IT Risk...lol...just my two cents.