Best IT Certifications for a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)

CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a CPA and plan to take the CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) exam this winter.

What additional certifications might be good?
Plans for 2014-2015: CISA [2014]

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Basing this on my experience with some auditors that were more business then IT.

Security+ - fundamentals for information security

Something that covers Active Directory and Windows server basics - maybe not the entire MCSA 2012, but maybe exams 410 & 411.

Fundamentals of networking. Maybe the Network+ or CCENT. If you want to get more technical then the CCNA and / or CCNA: Security.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You named the one I was going to recommend. My friend who has been a CPA for ~10 years is going for his CISA. I wish I had more information for you but good luck on the CISA!
  • CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

After I take the CISA, I was thinking about trying for a SQL certification, but which one?

Also, how useful is Linux+ certification for business professionals?
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at the CITP (from the AICPA), the CGEIT, the CRISC, and the CISSP.
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To tell you the truth once you have a CPA and a CISA the only other certification I would be looking at is a non-technical which is CIA - Certified Internal Auditor, once you have those three you can call it a day and you can start applying to one of the Big Four accounting firms which are desperate for folks with a CISA. In your position any technical certifications you earn will be purely for your own self education and ability to communicate with IT folks but will not have very much career payoff financially.

My sources: Both my in-laws have a CISA and one them also has CPA and a CIA. I am also married to an accountant who is in the process of taking her CPA exams but already has years of industry experience.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CISSP if you have the requirements seems like a very nice one to complement the CISA and your background. What about COBIT?! I know a lot of the financial systems use Oracle SQL, maybe look into that if you are interested in databases.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    CPA wrote: »
    I am a CPA and plan to take the CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) exam this winter.

What additional certifications might be good?

Are you planning on remaining an active CPA? Or are you looking at changing your career?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great responses, thank you.

The CCNA /CCNA: Security looks good.

How would the MCSA be useful?

I plan on keeping my CPA license active and working in financial services. I want to transition into in a position that combines financial literacy with detailed IT knoweldge. I am searching for rigorous certifications since I will likely be working with business professionals that have degrees in computer science/information systems.

ISACA certifications other than the CISA (which I plan on taking this Winter) all require more than a few years of experience for certification. Plus I'm not sure how aplicable they will be to my career. You would think the CITP (Certified Information Technology Professional) offered by the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) would be a great fit, but after searching job sites, I don't think it's in high demand.

CISSP could be interesting, but it also requires many years of experience.

Exams that offer certification by exam without IT experience are appealling for me at this stage in my career. What other options in this categoy might be good?
  • jack99jack99 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a wealth of resources. Many thanks!!
  • Calvin72Calvin72 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello dear!! I think my professor Dr. Aloke Ghosh can help you and he can tell you the complete procedure for best IT Certifications for a CPA (Certified Public Accountant). You know he has published lots of publications on accountancy!!
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I used to work for one of the big 4 and a lot of our accountants would go for the CISA or CISM and CISSP (For Sr Consultants and Managers) after getting their CPA. I think you're on the right track.

There are 2 big benefits with being an ISACA member.

1) A lot of local meetings/conferences with guest speakers that are free for members.
    2) A lot of online resources for doing commercial IT audits.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security