Passed CASP today

SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed the CASP test today.

I originally scheduled this test for January 2014. I kept postponing and changing dates, so I finally decided to take this test this morning. Thanks to GOD, I was able to pass this test. I felt that this was one of the hardest tests that I had to take. The performance based questions requires good hands-on network skills. I would recommend that anyone preparing for this test use network simulator and know how to at least configure basic connectivity between multiple networking devices and how different types of attacks can affect network devices. Of course, I cant go into detail but I posted some good sources of information to prepare for the exam.

I used the following resources:

Books: Sybex and McGraw-Hill
Videos: CASP Skillport
Practice Tests: Transcender, CCCure, Sybex (book CD), McGraw-Hill (book CD)

Some NIST Special Publications (SP) that contain some good information that could help on both the CASP and CISSP exams include:

SP 800-137 - Information Security Continuous Monitoring for Federal Information Systems and Organizations
SP 800-125 - Guide to Security for Full Virtualization Technologies
SP 800-53 Rev. 4 - Security and Privacy Controls for Federal Information Systems and Organizations / DRAFT Assessing Security and Privacy Controls in Federal Information SP 800-61 Rev. 2 - Systems and Organizations: Building Effective Assessment Plans
Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
SP 800-64 Rev. 2 - Security Considerations in the System Development Life Cycle
SP 800-83 Rev. 1 - Guide to Malware Incident Prevention and Handling for Desktops and Laptops

There are many more NIST SPs on the csrc.nist.gov website. Just Google NIST and you'll see some good stuff. Please do not take this as an all inclusive list. There are many more great resources available.

Total Preparation Time: Approximately 1 year (I know its a long time, but I got kids and kept forgetting stuff in the book. I read the McGraw-Hill book at least 4x and Sybex 2x.)

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Now that is dedication. I struggle getting through books one time, let along four times. Congratulations! I hear it is a hard one.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    SuperISSO wrote: »
    Thanks to GOD, I was able to pass this test. I felt that this was one of the hardest tests that I had to take.

I am glad someone else agrees. Too many people are drinking the CompTIA haterade.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, I found the test very difficult as well.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass. I've been thinking about taking it, myself. Thanks for the info from NIST. Does passing that test automatically update the expiration date of your other CompTIA certs?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. I've been thinking about taking it, myself. Thanks for the info from NIST. Does passing that test automatically update the expiration date of your other CompTIA certs?

It should upgrade Sec+. I was thinking about maybe going the CASP route until I found my HBSS took care of it. It expires next in 2017, I planned to be retired by then.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Basically as long as you pay for your yearly CE any certifications above Sec+ will renew it, be it Project + or Storage + they both hold the same weight.... of course anything in a different vendor also renews it.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Basically as long as you pay for your yearly CE

All that matters it would seem..
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I'm curious you have your CCNP and stated the networking in this is difficult? Or is it the overall type of questions being asked difficult / different than the norm?
  • SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry,

I meant to say the overall test was difficult. I have trouble with networking Q&A because of the depth of the questions. The performance based questions were straight forward, but you really have to make sure that you take the training for them seriously. I was able to apply job knowledge and training to them. People should really download the GNS3 simulator, wireshark, and other utilities play around with a few other utilities.
  • itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass - impressive dedication!
  • SuperISSOSuperISSO Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »

Bad news... Since I took the A+, Network+, and Security Plus before 2011 and I didn't enroll in the CE program in 2012, I would have to retake all these tests individually before enrolling in the CE Program for each of them.

icon_mike.gificon_mike.gificon_mike.gif

From now on, I'm paying attention to fees and changes in policy. I've been in the field for over a decade now, so those certs should not be too hard. I'm focused on getting the CISSP though, so I'll hold off on worrying about those certifications right now.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+, N+ and S+ all have expired
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had my A+ and Network+ since 2001. I took S+ and passed last year and it made my A+ and N+ go to CE version and renewed them. Maybe passing the CASP will move them from lifetime to CE and you will be fine.