Call Manager- Gateways and Gatekeepers

EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been asked to look into this and prepare to implement it in our live production. Well, sure feel pressure as I have never heard of it before and I only hold an ICND1 Cert, but there is lots of step-by-step instructions and documentations online. I'm hoping to get any answers of people that have implemented this and why would you want to implement it? I know that is a very general question.

I will be glued to my chair and read up on this all evening, it sucks when you work in a job that has not got any professionals working there that you can talk to.
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    This is the exact topics of the CVOICE exam for the CCNP Voice track, so I would advise you get study materials for that exam immediately and began studying / labbing, regardless of whether you want to get the NP Voice cert.
  • EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Crappy stuff, but this will help me develop my knowledge. I will be reading up on that. Thank you.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Edificer wrote: »
    Crappy stuff, but this will help me develop my knowledge. I will be reading up on that. Thank you.

Crappy stuff? No. Voice is amazing but if all if you have is icnd1 and no previous voice experience then the material might be overwhelming.
    Oh, it's definitely great and I find it enjoyable. I have had some hands on experience with two 7835 and I am the only one who currently manages them since the contractors (Some of them CCNP Cert) who worked here have had their contracts expired.

Crappy being having to go over the CVOICE Self Study guide book for this, I guess that is the other side of the coin of working in this sort of field, it will always be there. :)
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Are you sure you will be implementing gatekeepeers? These are usually reserved for very large installations or service provider networks. I usually don't recommend a gatekeeper until you are around 3-4 clusters. Also now with the newer version of software I don't even recommend a gatekeeper at all. You can build a separate SME cluster(think of it as a separate call manger cluster to manage the dial plan) to take care of the function of the gatekeeper.

I think you may be implementing gateways. Very heavy reading, but doable. Just insure you watch out for some of the major gotcha's with gateway like all voice traffic being blocked by default on newer code.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    I have not been debriefed actually on the reality of what we want to get, yet. I kind of had a 1 minute phone call. You are absolutely right, what I am getting from what I have read so far it has to be gateways, what I will do is set out recommendations for ATA or VG224 (depending upon needs), and actually set these up and configure / test them.

What set of hardware would you recommend?

This site is such a privilege. Thank you for your support :)
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I don't recommend hardware unless I know what you are trying to do, the ease of maintenance you are looking for, and the function of the calls. I've done sites with 1000 people who only needed 2 gateways to handle all the calls inbound and out on the slip site I've done sites with 500 people that needed 6 gateways to handle all off the inbound calls and faxing and redundancy. It just depends on the type of work the company does
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Edificer wrote: »
    I have not been debriefed actually on the reality of what we want to get, yet. I kind of had a 1 minute phone call. You are absolutely right, what I am getting from what I have read so far it has to be gateways, what I will do is set out recommendations for ATA or VG224 (depending upon needs), and actually set these up and configure / test them.

What set of hardware would you recommend?

This site is such a privilege. Thank you for your support :)

If you want hands on, build a cucm lab in vmware and get a 3845 with some pvdm's and fxs cards.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    With the right modules I've seen the 2900 series routers make adequate gateways for several medium sized business customers (500-1000 employees), but shodown put it best saying no real recommendations can be made without the full scope.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your setting up a CUCM/UC environment then I would highly recommend this book. Configuring Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Unity Connection: A Step-by-Step Guide (2nd Edition) (Networking Technology: IP Communications): David F. Bateman: 9781587142260: Amazon.com: Books
    Just about everything you need to know including setting up H.323 to a voice gateway router.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln