Shon Harris passed away?

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
First I heard of this, though it happened last week. I didn't see anything on her company website though.

Shon Harris

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that's terrible. I remember someone mentioning how she had dropped off the radar a bit over the past few years. I guess that explains it.

icon_cry.gif
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Dang this sucks. I know I made my jokes but her teachings were solid and are part of why I am a CISSP today (not that that matters).

icon_sad.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Never liked her style but definitely learned a few things from the CISSP AIO. A big loss for the Infosec community.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Weird?

I just grabbed some training stuff off a shelf in a room I have not been in, nor had much reason to be in and it was one of her old security training material...and I thought, "Wow, haven't looked at this in a bit, she had good info in here, I should review it." Brought it upstairs, pulled up TE and BAM saw this thread...

Very sad, she was indeed talented! At least she was able to share much of her talent with up-and-coming IT folks!

RIP
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Dang, that's sad to hear :'( RIP Shon. And at such a young age. Really makes you realize you need to enjoy every moment of every day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is crazy, she definitely accomplished a lot in her time and contributed to the INFOSEC community.
  • voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that is so sad and a big loss for community.
    2014 Goals CISSP COLOR=#008000]Passed[/COLOR, 2015 Goals CISM COLOR=#ff0000]June[/COLOR
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Wow..... I was not expecting this to be true when I opened this thread.

Though I was not a big fan of Shon's quips I did learn a lot from her books. I agree with the rest of you, a true loss to the INFOSEC community.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    Very sad indeed. Huge loss for the INFOSEC field. Was it cancer? I know a few people that work in the cancer field and it takes so many people at a young age.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Anyone know a way to validate this information? I mean there is seriously nothing else out there about this. I would expect someone would have covered this by now.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I just bought her CISSP Study Guide and look forward to her next update. Her pass on is a great loss to the InfoSec community. Hope she R.I.P.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I thought the same thing. All I can find is the obit linked above, or verbatim copies of it.

edit: nevermind. was answering sephstorm

edited again: I wonder if the obit people noticed the spike in traffic today.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well the techtarget article appears to be using the obit as a source so I suppose its still the only official source. I tried calling the company but the only number I found was a fax line.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Maybe it's a hoax, and I really hope it is a hoax.
  • Ra's al GhulRa's al Ghul Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It’s Really Traumatizing and shocking to hear that Shon has passed away. She indeed accomplished a lot in infosec and gave it back generously to the community. She is the reason why I am a CISSP today, and I feel so sad that I never wrote her a “thank you” email. She was and will be a mother to Infosec and CISSP.

Truly I have learned everything about Infosec from her and I can’t call her less than a mother to me. And Indeed she was my intellectual guru [The syllable gu means shadows, The syllable ru he who disperses them, Because of the power to disperse darkness the guru is thus named].

R.I.P Gurudev/Gurudevi/Shon.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its on CCCure too, it doesnt sound like a hoax, unfortunately
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Anyone know a way to validate this information? I mean there is seriously nothing else out there about this. I would expect someone would have covered this by now.

Allen Family Funeral Options just confirmed that they will be having a private service for her. Very sad loss.
  • SahussainSahussain Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ....what a sad day icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, was surprised to see this.

Used her AIO 6E and Practice Questions while studying for my CISSP.

Rest.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_sad.gif. A sad day for the IT Industry indeed. May she Rest In Peace.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow...Thanks Shon for the training.
  • Realist2001Realist2001 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RIP Ms. Harris. Her AIO book was a big reason why I passed my test a few weeks ago. That book now has sentimental value.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    WOW....Very shocking. I think 99% of all CISSP's will know her name. She was a superstar in the Information Security world. ISC2 should do something on her behalf. She has helped many professionals to become certified and educated in the field of Information Security.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was shocked when I saw this. RIP Shon Harris.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    very sad news... RIP
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    She is one of the main reasons why I passed the CISSP...RIP Shon