Time Crunch to Gain Expertise...Which Certifications to Earn in These Areas:

CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
The job is an IT consulting position that services Fortune 500 companies. I need to develop a working knowledge in some of these areas: Oracle (Enterprise), SAP, UNIX, Linux, Oracle Database, web development tools, and virtualization.

If I have 6-12 months time, what areas should I focus on? Which skills will be useful in the future (5/10/15 years out)?

What entry-to-intermediate level certifications cover these topics?

Thanks for your input!

BTW: What do you think they are looking for with web development tools and virtualization?
Plans for 2014-2015: CISA [2014]

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Way too broad!

My guess is that it's an Oracle DBA or SAP admin position that requires some knowledge of UNIX/Linux and some awareness of the underlying virtualised infrastructure. I'm not sure.

For Oracle DBA, there are certifications I think OCA or something. For basic Linux knowledge try Linux+. SAP is its own beast!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I looked at this topic yesterday and backed away slowly. This is akin to me asking a CPA, "You know, I saw this position I want to apply for performing internal tax compliance and variance remediation but I can't add and couldn't tell you what GAAP stands for. I've got six months. LULZ. KTHXBYE."

What would make me think I could pull that together without some degree of perspective on what I'm asking? Wouldn't you be a wee bit insulted with the insinuation that you can wrap up 20 years of knowledge and experience into a brief recommendation? Best of luck with prospective gig. I sincerely hope the consultancy's screening process is on point.
  • CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think they require knowledge of all the subjects to work on one particular task. The job is for a position on a team of people that provide IT consulting and design solutions. It would probably be good to pick a couple to focus on.

I think Linux+ will be a good start.

What types of skills do I need to understand virtualization?
    In response to the previous poster, I am sorry if I offended you. That was certianly not my intention. I don't expect to master all these subject in 6-12 months. That would be unrealisitc. I could study every certification listed on this site and earn a PhD in computer science and still have so much to learn. I have tremenduous respect for the world of computer science. There is so much out there. As I said in my original post, I would like to earn entry-level certifications in multiple areas.

Maybe I can earn Linux+, "Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Associate", plus the CISA between now and next summer. This wouldn't be easy, but it is possible with dedication and sacrifice. Maybe it takes me longer, but I am happy to set goals and continute to work towards them. I am hungry to learn and make a career for myself while I still have the drive. My confidence comes from my experience studying for and passing the CPA exam and attending a university that challenged me.

I probably should have posted more from the job description. The requirements for this job include having a CPA and/or a CISA (I have one and plan to earn the other), a degree in accounting or computer science (I have one), and some experience in the technical fields listed in the original post. I meet many of the requirements for this position except I need to demonstrate more hands-on IT skills.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's my recommendation...

With your CPA, apply to any Oracle/SAP openings at any of the Big 4. Be flexible with your location and travel availability. It'll be easiest to get in on a security, GRC, or functional team, as these areas don't require a ton of technical knowledge and can easily be taught on the job to the right people. Since you've indicated you eventually want to do CISA, maybe look for more GRC-oriented positions. If you go for an ERP system admin position (SAP Basis, etc), you might have a tough time with your lack of/limited technical knowledge. Other than CISA/CISSP, do not worry about any specific certs for the time being if you go this route and plan to stick with it.

edit -- may have read your first post too quickly. do you already have the job - for after graduation or something?
    Thank you for the reccomendation.

I don't have the job already. My work situation will be changing in 6-12 months and I am planning for my next job.

Any recommendations for other forums where I can interact with business/IT professionals?
  • NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    - In response to the previous poster, I am sorry if I offended you.

No worries at all. I tend to be a bit snarky in my responses, so no offense taken. Many of these certs are built on one another, so it can be difficult/overwhelming to make recommendations to someone who is looking to capture a full scope of knowledge in a compressed window.

Best of luck of course.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    CPA wrote: »
    The job is an IT consulting position that services Fortune 500 companies. I need to develop a working knowledge in some of these areas: Oracle (Enterprise), SAP, UNIX, Linux, Oracle Database, web development tools, and virtualization.

People make entire careers out of all of these. I really recommend you scope down your learning plan.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ tprice. Not to one up but some people make careers out of just one of those technologies.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ tprice. Not to one up but some people make careers out of just one of those technologies.

Either you misinterpreted or my phrasing was confusing but that's what I said.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Misinterpreted, initially I read it as people make a career out of all of these. I wasn't thinking that you meant each individual one listed, which I probably should of concluded too........

Either way it takes a lot of time.