NOC engineer

taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
what is the job qualifications /requirement for the NOC engineer? I recently received an email about the NOC engineer position. The job qualifications look so simple, in fact, like a helpdesk position.

I would like to understand about the NOC engineer. Please help.

Thank you.
mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3

Comments

• MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    A "NOC engineer" can be like a helpdesk position. Surveliance of a large network. Looking at a series of monitors all day. Perhaps doing 1st level troubleshooting. I guess it's a good stepping stone into networking, but don't expect too much. Good luck.
  • CalRoDCalRoD Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stupid question: What does NOC stand for?
  • ghopkeghopke Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Network Operations Center"
  • WRXSTi04WRXSTi04 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seen a lot of these locally look for CCNA and up certs
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How is the pay and are there regular job opportunities for this kind of job?
  • GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    The pay will depend on your area, but I wouldn't expect a high wage for a level 1 noc role. Depending on the environment it could be a 8, 10 or 12 hour shift type of role. You will spend most of your time with monitoring, opening bridge lines, reports and maybe some troubleshooting if the noc you would work for has their level one's doing that.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    How is the pay and are there regular job opportunities for this kind of job?

Depends the area but here in Illinois between West burbs and Chicago there are always NOC jobs. It is a good way to get your feet wet in networking and counts as that experience you need to get to the next position.

Pay. Depends on level and experience.

My coworker was doing a level 1 job and made 15 an hour. I was brought from the field and did a level 2 NOC position for 25 an hour. (we had no tier 3)
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    This also depends on the kind of NOC.

Is it a national network? If so is there a lot of peering connections? What kind? MPLS? BGP? In that role you'll need to have some good layer 3 skills in the routing space.

But what if its a campus style network? In that respect I'd make sure I knew my Layer 2 support stuff. VLANS, Trunking, tagging, VTP (good lord turn it off), Spanning-Tree, Etherchannel, or maybe even VSS / OTV may be expected skill sets.

Could it be a NOC for a WISP? Well in that case expect lots of wireless troubleshooing on Point to Point links and on edge CPE cells.

Or maybe its a datacenter? Well in that case be prepared for chassis switching, interconnects, and possibly some IS-IS.

In short, the NOC engineer position roles and expected skills are totally dependent on the Network type that the Network Operations Center is managing.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Wow...um my bad. I just realized I replied to a thread from 2006....
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU