Options

Exit interview...your thoughts?

WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
I'm leaving my current company and HR has contacted me for an exit interview. This is a standard process and one which is not mandatory. Some of the people that have left in the past decided to opt out.

Should I accept the interview and if so, is honesty the best policy? I will of course remain professional at all times. I do like the company that I'm leaving, but I'm in the wrong department so I've decided to take my talent elsewhere.

Here's a excerpt from Forbes, do you guys agree?

"When it comes to exit interviews, the general rule is, if you don’t have anything nice to say, lie.”
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson

Comments

• Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    May I ask what and why an exit interview is/required for? I have never heard of such a thing.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was honest in my last exit interview as I never wanted to go back there, told them as much too. Whether you tell the truth or not, it's not going to make a difference to you moving forward so it'll really depend on whether or not you think you will go back or you need a reference.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    IIRC, some states allow employers to require that you sit through an exit interview before you receive your final check.

What are they for? Usually, for CYA. The employer wants to make sure they've covered their bases for any post-departure litigation or other issues.

You can be candid, but usually your statements will not make much difference and can create issues when you need references in the future. Better a generic "everything was OK" response to the questions.

If you can bypass the exit interview, it might be worth it to opt out. Exit interviews can be nerve-wracking, especially if you get probed for problems in the work environment or are overly emotional about your departure.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Nafe92014 wrote: »
    May I ask what and why an exit interview is/required for? I have never heard of such a thing.

Some organizations usually large enterprises conduct an interview before you leave the company. Your feedback might help the company change it's policies/procedures going forward. Companies that care can use this data and ask themselves, why are good people leaving? Others simply don't give a crap.
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I was honest in my last exit interview as I never wanted to go back there, told them as much too. Whether you tell the truth or not, it's not going to make a difference to you moving forward so it'll really depend on whether or not you think you will go back or you need a reference.

That is the only reason why I want to partake in the exit interview so that I might return one day, you never know what the future holds.
    petedude wrote: »
    IIRC, some states allow employers to require that you sit through an exit interview before you receive your final check.

What are they for? Usually, for CYA. The employer wants to make sure they've covered their bases for any post-departure litigation or other issues.

You can be candid, but usually your statements will not make much difference and can create issues when you need references in the future. Better a generic "everything was OK" response to the questions.

If you can bypass the exit interview, it might be worth it to opt out. Exit interviews can be nerve-wracking, especially if you get probed for problems in the work environment or are overly emotional about your departure.

So if you opt out, you won't receive your final check or vacation pay? Wow, that is terrible but I see the reasoning from an employers perspective. I'll try my best not to let my emotions get the best of me, and be as general as I can be if things get rough!
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with Forbes. You never want to burn bridges. Be honest with them about why your leaving. But think of this as an interview of sorts. Who knows what could happen 10 years later. I have seen people end up with a previous employer in a new role. Why ruin the chance of that?

oh and never tell them where you are going.
  • Options
    oh and never tell them where you are going.

Too late mate! I told my manager but I believe the interview is with HR only. Why is your reasoning behind this? I guess I'm not too worried because I work in the public sector and I'm not leaving to go to their competition.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    You should be honest, in a professional way. Exit interviews can be helpful for companies if they're trying to establish ways of retaining talent.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had exit interviews pretty much in every company I worked for. Whilst they always say they are for HR to maybe see common issues / change them etc. , I never saw exit interviews actually accomplishing anything. In one company I worked for they hired a new manager, who was a contractor. Within four months 80% resigned and everybody said in their interview that he was one of the reasons. He got extended after six months and the team effectively doesn't exist anymore as most of the people left.

Might just be a bad example but I don't care about them myself. In fact, when I am leaving there is usually no one who is surprised as I tend to say what I think and leave if I cannot change things anymore or I am too fed up.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Show up to the exit interview and be like, "So who's got my 20k cash bonus to stay on board?"
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I wouldn't make it personal, like saying some particular manager is a d bag, but rather to let upper management know of the issues me and my coworkers are going through with the company, which is usually pretty close to the reason I left in the first place. Like lack of encouragement to better yourself as a professional, no growth from within the company, raises that are insulting, etc.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I've had exit interviews at almost every company I've ever worked at. I agree with most of what people are saying--don't burn bridges, but be honest with them. For example one of the companies I left asked "how morale was upstairs" I told them (no names) that a lot of the techs were unclear of what direction management had in place for certain security concerns that kept happening. Turns out two weeks after I started my new job they replaced some of the upper managers with 'candidates that were more fit for the position'.. But I wasn't the only Engineer that left that month for the same reason, so there was that.
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll offer an opposing view, but not just because I want to be obstinate. If there is an option to opt out of the exit interview, I'll take it. Why? Because there is no benefit for providing honest feedback for a position/company you've already decided to leave. If I'm forced to give one, I'll provide the most generic, tepid responses in favor of preserving a reference I might need down the road. Considering HR's responsibility to the company (potentially at your expense) I'm not looking to give them any more ammo.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would also opt out if given the option.

I worked with a guy who was given an exit interview. The purpose was to get him to sign documents swearing that he would not give away company secrets or use confidential company information to benefit any of their competitors.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Update:

Awesome stories, thank you all for sharing your experiences. I just had my exit interview over the phone, 15-20 questions. I kept it professional and positive and I was honest. Didn't have much negative things to say, I enjoyed working there but left to further advance MY career. The data provided is kept confidential and it's pooled together. If I had a terrible experience with this company, I probably would have wrote a book!