Options

Pearson vs Microsoft book which is better?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I saw this book by Pearson -
MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 (Certification Guide) Hardcover –
by Don Poulton (Author), David Camardella
But there are two other books in market as well which are quite popular. These are -

1)Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 Paperback –
by Mark Minasi (Author), Kevin Greene (Author), Christian Booth (Author), Robert Butler (Author) & 4others

2)Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 Paperback –
by Craig Zacker

I heard that the last one by Craig Zacker is helpful for labs. Is it true? Should I buy this one only? (I also have the Sybex Server 2012 book by William Panek)

Looking for some generous good advice.

Thanks & Regards

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have found the Microsoft exam prep books to be lacking. Mastering 2012 r2 would be the better book. That with labs at Microsoft Virtual Acedemy, and the Early Experts blogs from Keith Mayer, and most importantly understanding each tested product through Technet
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO, the Sybex "Mastering" books are the best.

As far as Microsoft press books, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are awful.

I recommend that you check the reviews on Amazon.com. If a book sucks, there will be plenty of people screaming about it on there.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just bought the Pearson book. Things I like so far:

-It's bigger and more thorough than Microsoft's "Exam Ref" (over 1000 pages, compared to 300 something)
    -It has a familiar format to the "Cisco Press" CCNA books (in fact, it seems like a blatant style rip off, but I like it)
    -It just came out, so it feels more up to date
    -It's focused entirely on the 70-410, unlike the Sybex "Mastering" book which covers everything in general

Ultimately I recommended buying BOTH the Pearson and Sybex books.

Also, if you are interested in labs, do an Amazon search for "70-410 R2 lab manual" to find the Microsoft course lab manual. I have that as well, but haven't gone through any of the labs yet to see how useful they are.
  • Options
    xray22-1xray22-1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi I want to start studying for 70-410 too.
    I want to order one to two books and I'm thinking about

1)MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 (Certification Guide) Hardcover and
    2)Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 Paperback

Does first book cover 410 exams alone?
    Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 Paperback covers all MCSA?Is it easy to recognize what do I have to study for 410 from this giant book?