Books for self study

Hello!

Its time for me to buy some books... I checked Amazon for sybex books con CCSP but the reviews aren't so good.

I would like some opinions, if any, on Cisco Press books self study guides... ie:

*CCSP SNPA Official Exam Certification Guide, 3rd Edition
*CCSP Self-Study: Cisco Secure Virtual Private Networks (CSVPN), 2nd Edition
*CCSP IPS Exam Certification Guide
*CCSP SNRS Exam Certification Guide (CCSP Self-Study)

There is another one of McGraw-Hill... an All in one book... Sybex also released one like this.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it's just me - but personally I never met a Cisco Press book I liked. I guess I just don't like the way they are laid out or something, because the info is good. They put me to sleep worse than any other tech book publisher. I never buy them anymore.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Yeah! The sleep effect is incredible... What books do you suggest for CCSP?

Saludos amigo!
    Wish I could help you there, but I can't.

<
    No CCSP! :)
    LOL! When are starting??

I hope when you ask the same question as I do, I could help :)

Thanks amigo.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I say double your caffiene intake and go with the Cisco Press books. icon_lol.gif

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44730&redir=1&rl=1

I liked the Sybex CCSP Complete Study Guide (from 2005, which is now obsolete for the new exams) in addition to the recommended Cisco Press books (for the old exams). I don't see a new version on Amazon.... so its looking like you might need to get an Expresso Machine and also some NoDoze.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    LOL! When are starting??
    For now I don't plan on persuing Cisco certs beyond renewing my CCNA which expires in November - I will actually have to let it expire because I am in the middle of other stuff until early next year. I deal in mostly in MS products, as we only have a couple of 3500 routers, a 1700 router and a 1720 router that rarely need attention. We do have at least 50-60 Cisco switches (various makes) and a small PIX for a VLAN, but again those are kind of "set and forget" with the exception of managing switch ports (we use port security). So my CCNA pretty much covers the basics I need.

One exception is possible in the future, and that is getting certified on the PIX, since firewalls are kind of "my thing". However, that will be at least a year or two out.

Good luck on your studies my friend!
    Hello Mike...

Yes, double expresso with a shot of tequila and maybe a Red Bull energizer in it... jajajaja. That should light up my reading :)

Thanks for the Link... I will start buying those asap...

Did you notice that the SND exam has no prep guide like the others... Interesting... no?

Thanks a millon... It's going to be a long way to CCSP... I feel it!

Saludos amigos!