Has your CCNA made it a lot easier to land a job?

Jmart10Jmart10 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
title..

Comments

• blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I think it's gotten me more opportunity for a job (IE: Interviews). But without work experience it has not landed me a networking role like I had hoped.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    I think it's gotten me more opportunity for a job (IE: Interviews). But without work experience it has not landed me a networking role like I had hoped.

That is very true. It does help with interviews, but not having experience have lowered their consideration for an actual hire. I was lucky enough to network with some college students & professors to have my current employer take a risk on me so I can gain that experience. If you do not have that type of networking, you may be able to have a IT recruiter aid you with gaining entry level networking positions.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Admiral AkmirAdmiral Akmir Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    That is very true. It does help with interviews, but not having experience have lowered their consideration for an actual hire. I was lucky enough to network with some college students & professors to have my current employer take a risk on me so I can gain that experience. If you do not have that type of networking, you may be able to have a IT recruiter aid you with gaining entry level networking positions.

It seems like a lot of the people I've talked to have gotten their jobs through recruiters. This is kind of a new concept to me, how does this generally work? From what I understand, you upload your resume to them, and then they interview you, find out more about you, and when companies contact them for hires, they can recommend you, is that about right? Also do you generally have to pay them, or does it depend on the recruiting company?
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    It helps gets you in the door for the interview, but then you have to be able to prove your supposed CCNA knowledge. Any decent organization will test your technical skills because they will realize how easy it is to **** the CCNA. There are a lot of CCNAs out there that hardly know anything. As long as you aren't one of those CCNAs, it will definitely help you find a networking job.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    No, it hasn't really helped me. I think that you need to already be a good candidate overall, in which case having certifications can help push you over the edge. It's not a panacea.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I would say it depends on the market. Some places you might be able to literally walk into an entry level position with just a CCNA or even CCENT. They're going to grill you during the interview process for a serious network position where you're going to be making changes to the infrastructure. Thus your certification becomes irrelevant at that point.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It got me an interview, which lead to my current position. CCNA was a requirement for the position, but I still got grilled in the interview.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Jmart10Jmart10 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say it depends on the market. Some places you might be able to literally walk into an entry level position with just a CCNA or even CCENT. They're going to grill you during the interview process for a serious network position where you're going to be making changes to the infrastructure. Thus your certification becomes irrelevant at that point.

do you know which cities have the best markets (high demand for network admins and low supply of network admins)?
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    That is something that you're going to have to do your own research. Postings for position with lower experience requirements usually indicate there is an increasing demand in the area and employers are struggling to retain existing talent and attract new ones.