Job Offer Issue

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a question about a job offer I received today and I am seeking a little sage advice; the kind that I have become accustomed finding here. However, before I do that I would like to give a little back ground: before going back to school at my local Community College last year, I had already graduated with a liberal arts bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in library science (yes, to be a librarian). Due to the recession, I was forced to work at a customer care call center. Eighteen months ago, I was not in a good place. I was getting more burnt out at the call center by the day and the library job search was getting me nowhere, so I decided it was time for a change and I registered for classes. Flash forward 14 months. I am two months graduation, rocking a 3.6 GPA, passed both the A+ and Network+ (and hopefully the Security+ by the end of the year), completing an internship. Not only this but after completing my first interview on Monday afternoon, I was offered the job today. However, I am not sure if I want the job. For one, I am not sure if I like the guy who I will be working for, but it could have me not knowing his personality; but I did like all of the other guys who I will be working with/for. Also, while the job 35-40 hours a week and pays $15 an hour (which I have no issue with) but here is the big red flag for me is there are no benefits, including health insurance (which I’m not sure how that is going to be legal next year; let’s not get political here please). Hell, my shitty call center job had insurance. My parents have said they will take care of that for me but damn it I am 31, I want show I am an adult. However, there are reasons to say yes. I know there is always a 100 reasons to say now but this a pretty big red flag as I have said. My experience of the last five years tells me to take the job and be grateful but my gut tells me to turn it down and hold out about six months before stop being picky. Right now, I am leaning hard no but I want to weigh all options. Is there any advice I may have that would help me?

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the health insurance thing is a deal breaker for me. What are job prospects like in your area? How many interviews have you had?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    the health insurance thing is a deal breaker for me. What are job prospects like in your area? How many interviews have you had?

The job market in my area is crap but the job was 90 minutes away and I would be moving. I have applied for about 6-7 jobs. I haven't been rejected from any of them yet. I have had this interview and I had a first round interview today at my college for a part time gig (less money and hours but I could live at home and I liked the guys better).
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you didn't like the guy during the interview that can be a big sign. As for the health insurance thing, are there over 50 employees?
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    If you didn't like the guy during the interview that can be a big sign. As for the health insurance thing, are there over 50 employees?

I would say so because this interview was at a Big 10 school.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's very surprising, the people that I've know that have worked in education have mostly stuck around for the benefits. I knew a guy who worked as a janitor at a top tier school so he could go for free and get great benefits.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    That's very surprising, the people that I've know that have worked in education have mostly stuck around for the benefits. I knew a guy who worked as a janitor at a top tier school so he could go for free and get great benefits.

And that is one of the main reasons why I want to work in a college too. I may be the odd one on here but I would rather take a little less money (like take $50 or 60k over 75-80k) if I have have a decent work life balance and get to work on a graduate degree for cheap or free.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go with your gut, pass on the job.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, if it's experience that you need, you may need to suck it up and deal with the lack of health benefits just to get that experience. And as far as not really liking the manager, it's more important that the people you work alongside and with on a daily basis are good hardworking people as that will make your job more enjoyable. If the manager is just hard to read, or you can't quite pin his personality (which can be hard to do over an interview or two) he may end up being a good guy once you get to know him. Also, you may not engage as often with him as he will expect the others to train you.

Now, after you've been there for a year or so, and they don't give you any benefits or pay raise, I would then at that time take the experience that you have gained and apply elsewhere that will be more in line with what your long term goals are. You could sign up for health insurance on the exchange so you have something.
  • I agree with the aforementioned posters; the red flags (lack of insurance // potential conflicts with your future manager) are enough to decline the offer.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd pass on the job also. Screw not having benefits.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I was single I might consider it. The economy still appears to be sucking. I hope it turns around at some point.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, if you aren't working now, and will be looking anyways post graduation, do you have insurance now? Currently in my role its a contract position with no benefits (I'm on my wife's insurance plan now) and no holiday/PTO/Vacation as well. Does it suck? Yes, it does. But it pays me ok (less than I want, but a hell of a lot better than nothing) and helps build on my experience. I'm looking at jumping to something different at the first chance I get to improve myself.

Right now I'm in interview rounds for a sys admin role (which I really want the chance to break into) with a MSP. I'm not sure of what their benefits are, and this is a very newly opened position that was vacated and they haven't even put the job on the job boards and probably won't.. I had applied their a couple of months ago, but never heard back on another position that they had. It sounds like I'd be doing somewhat of a jack of all trades sys admin role and that really excites me. It's a smaller company, but they are fairly new and growing rather rapidly.

Sometimes if you need that experience, you may have to bite the bullet for the short term to move up and progress in the long term.
  • jcondonjcondon Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My experience of the last five years tells me to take the job and be grateful but my gut tells me to turn it down and hold out about six months before stop being picky.

Listen to your gut. It's trying to tell you something.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    is this a FTE, contract, or C2H role? if its not FTE, then thats probably why there's no health insurance...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)