HELP PLEASE: Will i be able to get a job in IT once I graduate in June 2015?

Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
So a little about me is I have been out of work since December 2013 in IT. I took a Sales Technology job for staples because it fit right with my school schedule. I quit that job 7 months in because I felt that it was not the right fit. The last time I used actual tech skills were in December 2013. I have two years and four months experience in an IT help desk environment. I plan to graduate June 2015 with a Bachelors of Science in Information Technology. I have an Associates in IT degree and I have the A+. I don't have any money to earn anymore certs right now at this point.

Will it be hard for me to get a job with 2 years and four months of IT experience and a bachelors degree and one cert or will it be easier? I need opinions. At this point I am going to be looking for anything contract or full time permanent.

Comments

• slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your asking the wrong question. The real question is, "What should I do to get to xyz in five years?" Can you find a job? Probably, but so much depends on your actual skill level, interview skills, strength of resume, and how good you are at job hunting, yes job hunting is an actual skill. With a degree, your experience, and an A+, you have a decent start.

You really need to figure out what career path you want to pursue, keep in mind in many cases it's best to shape your career path around the work markets your targeting. Above all else finish the degree.
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    With the Bachelors Degree, cert, and 2+ years experience it'll definitely be harder. Sorry, OP.
  • Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about just getting another help desk gig? Will I be able to be able to get one of those with my 2 years experience and bachelors degree? I just want to make sure I am good to go back to work in June 2015 if I cannot get a job in december. All my classes are at night but everyone is looking for people to work the 11am-8pm shift which i cannot work until i graduate icon_sad.gif I am getting calls frequently but nothing that has an 8am-4pm Monday-Friday Schedule.

Heres my linkedin for those of you to check out:
    What about a general help desk job? I just want to get back to working help desk again.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No reason why not. Brush up your resume, practice anything you might be rusty on, work on interviewing skills, etc.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try to apply at local ISP's as a CSR. Try to volunteer at different places to get experience if you can't get a job that you want.
    What state do you live in?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    I am in the Seattle, Washington area. I added up all my experience and I have 2 years and 6 months in IT as Help Desk technician. I mostly dealt with troubleshooting software and little hardware support because I was in the Healthcare IT field for 2 years and 4 months. I also have 7 months selling technology services and products to customers so those are the jobs I left on my resume. Two of help desk positions were one month each which was contract work and they decided to lay me off at each job due to over staffing.

I am getting calls from recruiters left and right but no one is offering 8am-4pm Monday-Friday shifts right now and unfortunately with classes those are the only times I can work. I have classes at 5pm and I need to finish my degree. I also have a linkedin profile and have three written recommendations from my helpdesk job from the 2 year and 4 months position and a lot of skills endorsed on my linkedin profile as well.

So in total i have held 3 helpdesk jobs and 1 technology sales job in IT with the IT healthcare help desk technician being the longest.

Highest endorsed skills on linkedin are:
    11 people endorsed me for Technical Support
    9 people endorsed me for Troubleshooting
    8 people endorsed me for Active Directory
    7 people endorsed me for Help Desk

and so on. I have 29 connections with all of them coming from the IT Healthcare Help Desk job. Main reason why I left my other position was because there was no room for advancement and I wanted to explore other IT Help Desk areas.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Visit your school's IT department and see if you can assist them and work there part time or something or atleast volunteer so you can keep your skills up to date and learn new things. It is not hard to find a job, like others said, it depends on your desire and your career path. What are you thinking of focusing on? These days IT is not just a job, so many things depend from it, IT is a business now and just like any other business, your employer will need something specific from you. Figure out what you want to do first. Also, LinkedIn can be a good place to connect with recruiters that will help you on your search, so connect with them more.
    Yeah it sounds like you're getting lots of calls, which is great but the time restriction is the issue. 8-4 isn't an impossible time slot but not super common especially in a support position where you need to work around the hours of the rest of the employees.
    I mainly want to go into Desktop Support but most of the positions require a MCITP cert or something like that. I don't have the money for that yet and I do plan on getting it after I finish my bachelors degree. I just want to work help desk again but many people are wanting people to start mid-day and go toward the evening. That would be fine after school but I just can't justify that time slot right now. I am so close to finishing the degree and have a good momentum. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just have two more quarters left after this quarter. I have enough money to last me to pay my bills each month and I live under my mom's roof so that makes it easier. Plus I don't have to pay rent, only credit cards and Internet bill which isn't much at all thankfully.
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Visit your school's IT department and see if you can assist them and work there part time or something or atleast volunteer so you can keep your skills up to date and learn new things. It is not hard to find a job, like others said, it depends on your desire and your career path. What are you thinking of focusing on? These days IT is not just a job, so many things depend from it, IT is a business now and just like any other business, your employer will need something specific from you. Figure out what you want to do first. Also, LinkedIn can be a good place to connect with recruiters that will help you on your search, so connect with them more.

I have an internship I have to do after my Senior project next quarter so I hope this internship will involve desktop support so I can get it on my resume. Even if its non-paid. I don't drive anywhere except to go to my evening classes on campus so my gas is also good and have not had to spend any money on it. I've kept the same tank for two months so far and havn't had to re-fill it. I only eat at home so that is also helping a lot.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    I am in the Seattle, Washington area. I added up all my experience and I have 2 years and 6 months in IT as Help Desk technician.

I am also in the Seattle Metro area. Im working, but Ive been looking on and off for a position the last 2 years, and its not been easy. Companies in many cases are offering low pay and bad hours. Too many people are desperate for work IMO.
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    I mainly want to go into Desktop Support but most of the positions require a MCITP cert or something like that.

Apply anyway. Most listings are a laundry list of things they want, just keep applying. Highlight your support skills on your resume and sell yourself that you can do a good job in the role.
    David,

I don't care what hours I work after I get the bachelors degree. it is just during my bachelors degree is the problem. I will have to wait I guess. My wage I want is $13 an hour which a lot of companies seem to be okay with. I was paid that at my last helpdesk job and all my co workers said I was getting low-balled. I don't have a family to support and I am not living on my own so I don't care about the wage. I just want to be working again so my skills don't go bad. I hope being out of work in IT for a year won't make my skills stale. I assume if they see your getting a bachelors degree then your in a good boat once I graduate. I will just be applying for help desk work. I actually really love help desk because its a steady paycheck but I do want to move onto desktop support eventually.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you'll be fine because you have been in school working toward an IT degree since leaving IT work. I would expect to take on with a helpdesk and advance relatively quickly into a systems or networking position. Best of luck!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Thanks Carl! I am just really wanting to get back to work at the help desk. I am so done with school but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and must finish my bachelors degree. :)
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with @Danielm7 and also say that you should to the jobs anyway even if they do ask for things you don't have. It couldn't hurt. I also agree with @CarlSaiyed as you shouldn't have a problem with being out of the field for a year as you're working toward your bachelors. Just make sure you try to soak up as much information as you can. I'm sure you'll be able to find a position that works with your schedule. Keep us posted.
    Will do! :) Thanks for all the input guys!