Options

Looking for advice on certifications!

detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
Im currently enrolled at an IT school, im taking my 801 and 802 within 2 weeks. once I receive my A+ Ill be off for roughly 3-4 months and I was wondering if going after Linux+ self study/using testout would be a good option while I wait to enroll in the advanced class for server administration(mcitp)?

my goal ist just be versatile in any environment , and be more employable while gaining amazing IT knowledge/skills

Comments

• Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im currently enrolled at an IT school, im taking my 801 and 802 within 2 weeks. once I receive my A+ Ill be off for roughly 3-4 months and I was wondering if going after Linux+ self study/using testout would be a good option while I wait to enroll in the advanced class for server administration(mcitp)?

my goal ist just be versatile in any environment , and be more employable while gaining amazing IT knowledge/skills

If you're goal is to be flexible(jr. System admin), then pick a linux distribution and work toward the new LFCS.

You'll probably run into opportunities like this:
    Job overview
    The Junior System/Network Administrator will be responsible for optimizing network performance to deliver required information to end users. The ideal candidate will have the ability to evaluate critical systems and determine solutions, and work as a member of the team to make the solution a reality. A Junior Systems Administrator is also responsible for daily management of various VPN, Cloud application, and system services on Linux and Windows servers
    Reports to: Manager of Information Technology
    Duties and responsibilities
    • Maintaining, monitoring, and securing the LAN and the WAN;
    • Deploying security patches, hot fixes, and software updates;
    • Managing licenses for OS-related software;
    • Issues relating to the Avaya phone system;
    • Recommending hardware and software purchases;
    • Documenting network functions
    • End-user support with technical problems they may encounter in the operation of software,
    hardware, operating systems, e-mail, etc.
    Knowledge, skills, and abilities
    A working knowledge of technologies including;
    • Windows server and client versions and related utilities,
    • E-mail servers,
    • Linux Operating systems configuration and support,
    • Cisco router/switch administration,
    • Wired and wireless networking,
    • System security techniques and firewall administration
    • San experience helpful
    Credentials and experience
    • A degree in Computer Science, Management of Information Systems, or a related degree, or equivalent education and work experience.
    • A customer service focus, good teamwork skills, and a pleasant demeanor.
    Special requirements
    Ability to lift 70lbs essential
    We offer a competitive salary and benefit program that includes medical, dental, and SEP retirement plans, Life and LTD insurance and generous paid time off

A CCNA, an LFCS would prove to be very valuable if the goal is to be robust and are applying to position above.
  • Options
    detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    If you're goal is to be flexible(jr. System admin), then pick a linux distribution and work toward the new LFCS.

You'll probably run into opportunities like this:

A CCNA, an LFCS would prove to be very valuable if the goal is to be robust and are applying to position above.

apparently mcitp has been replaced with MCSA. that link for the LFSC is for jr system admin?