Low level Microsoft Certs

TownTown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been looking into various help desk and other entry/low level IT jobs, and noticed that besides A+, many are looking for people with Microsoft Certs as well. However, they don't specify which Certs they are talking about, and as someone who is just getting into the field I don't want to be shooting for Certs outside of my ability at the moment.

I was wondering what the more basic MS Certs are, specifically for help desk type positions or low level networking jobs.

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe the best Microsoft cert for a help desk job would be MCSA: Windows 7. Look on https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-ca/certification-overview.aspx for more details about these certs. I did the MCSA last year while I was working at a help desk and it helped me move up to a better postition.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Skip the MTA level certifications, they have almost no name recognition and do not count towards the higher level certifications like MCSA and MCSE which is what most employers want. Stick with MCTS certifications that are used in the MCSAs.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also suggest skipping the MTA certifications. I only got one because a job required it. I wish I had more time to just study for the MCSA as that would have been more worth my time. MCSA Windows 7 would be a good place to start if you are looking for help desk jobs.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows 7 over 8.1?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I noticed the same thing.I decided I'm gonna take the MTA 98-365 just to show I have basic knowledge of Microsoft and Active Directory. It is listed in almost every job posting and while I don't plan on focusing on Microsoft I wanted to demonstrate the basic knowledge. I study this pretty randomly as I work full time and I am taking 4 other courses this semester. I might test for this over the winter break to give me two weeks to review it around test time.
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Yes, Windows 10 will be the next go to OS after 7
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I got my MTAs for free, having the MCP cert on the wall is the best part. The tests were also incredibly easy, I didn't study for them and passed with basic background knowledge.