Options

Advice on certifications

robe4658robe4658 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently waiting to go to 3D0X2 tech school for the USAF. I won't be going until June 2015, so right now I have a lot of free time. At the end of the 3D0X2 tech school, you're required to pass Security+. These students have no other training besides what is provided to them during the 3-4 months they're in training for the 3D0X2 course.I'd like to try and get my Security+ certification now, before I go, so I can spend 3-4 less weeks at the schoolhouse. Do you think it's possible to start with Security+? I don't see why not if this is how they do things at the 3D0X2 USAF schoolhouse?

or should I start with Network+? I don't have any experience other than my own personal interest in computer. Being an "above average" computer user.

is the Network+ test supposed to change anytime soon? or has it recently? I see a new book out for it in April 2015 I believe

For Security+ I have the CBT videos, the Sybex 401 study guide, Prof Messer, and Darril Gibon's 301 Study guide book

Comments

• Options
    GuistinoGuistino Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you could just study the network + material to help yourself out. be aware they are retiring the sy0-301 at the end of the year.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Prior 3C0X1/3D0X2 here...I've heard of students who already have Security+ still having to go through the same courses and modules as the other pipeline students who don't have it. Even if you did manage to get out of it (doubt it), I'm sure the instructors and/or MTLs (yes, MTLs), will find something for you to stay busy.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    robe4658robe4658 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Prior 3C0X1/3D0X2 here...I've heard of students who already have Security+ still having to go through the same courses and modules as the other pipeline students who don't have it. Even if you did manage to get out of it (doubt it), I'm sure the instructors and/or MTLs (yes, MTLs), will find something for you to stay busy.

Thanks for the reply. I am prior service active duty who has switched to the guard. I am retraining so I'm hoping they wouldn't keep me at the school house any longer than needed, considering I'll be guard funded.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if you're prior service, that might change things a little. I was speaking in regards to FTA.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To be honest, the materials you have should be sufficient to get you through the certification exam. As for letting you go early, you will need to discuss that with your unit. Often times, the unit can dictate certain things to the school house. If the last few weeks of training are specific to the Security+ training, and you already have your cert, then the school house may allow you to graduate early. Prior service students, especially those in the Reserves and Guard, are more likely to be granted exceptions than an FTA would.

Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me