CISA Study: Official Review Manual and test database not enough to pass exam?

CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am using the official CISA Review Manual and the test question database to study for the CISA exam. After studying for a couple weeks, it's obvious I will need better materials to confidently pass this exam.

For instance, I read "Chapter 4-Information Systems Operations, Maintenance and Support" from the official manual and took a 20 question practice exam from the test question database. I was given questions that tested terminology not included in the review manual.

I'm disappointed in the CISA review manual so far. It is poorly written and doesn't cover widely accepted modern technologies. The organization of topics the manual is oversimplified. The manual covers topics in detail and then provides a disclaimer "This information is not included on the CISA exam". This review manual seems like ISACA's attempt to boost the reputation of its business, not serve as a good review manual for the CISA exam.

The manual doesn't help me understand how to answer the tricky exam questions. It's obvious I will need another study guide. Any suggestions?
Plans for 2014-2015: CISA [2014]

Comments

• CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It looks like this study guide gets great reviews: David L. Cannon's "CISA Certified Information Systems Auditor Study Guide".
  • FrankMat74FrankMat74 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used that test book. Would recommend.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @OP: Welcome to the world of ISACA. :/
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CPA wrote: »
    I am using the official CISA Review Manual and the test question database to study for the CISA exam. After studying for a couple weeks, it's obvious I will need better materials to confidently pass this exam.

For instance, I read "Chapter 4-Information Systems Operations, Maintenance and Support" from the official manual and took a 20 question practice exam from the test question database. I was given questions that tested terminology not included in the review manual.

I'm disappointed in the CISA review manual so far. It is poorly written and doesn't cover widely accepted modern technologies. The organization of topics the manual is oversimplified. The manual covers topics in detail and then provides a disclaimer "This information is not included on the CISA exam". This review manual seems like ISACA's attempt to boost the reputation of its business, not serve as a good review manual for the CISA exam.

The manual doesn't help me understand how to answer the tricky exam questions. It's obvious I will need another study guide. Any suggestions?

You're a CPA, too! I was curious about diving into the CISA (reg. extended to Oct 29th for December test...hurry if you haven't registered).

Any reason why you're going that path? A few of my CPA buddies are recommending I do that, since I'm a bit more proficient with technologies than they are.

I'm curious..are you strictly in assurance services?
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wonder if the extension was due to low registration... or high demand? Which is more likely?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure..possibly a combination of both. It's a rather expensive test, too.
  • CPACPA Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe the CISA will help differentiate me from other CPAs. I've worked some pretty boring accounting jobs, so my hope is earning the CISA will help me obtain a job doing someting interesting. IT audit appears to be more interesting than most accounting work.
  • pharmorjacpharmorjac Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used ISACA's online study class. It was multiple sections (5 I believe) and was $500 (company paid for), but provided CPE's and gave me the information I needed (along with the official questions CD) to pass the exam.
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I would recommend you multiple resources for the exam. I used only Skillport, and I failed by 25 points last year. I never thought want to take the exam again, but since recently I became consultant. It is a great certification to have provides expansion of my scope of services.
    My current source
    - Sybex - CISA (Free for Safari Books member --still have access through US Arm contractor)
    - CBT Nugget - CISA (Listening while at the gym, driving to work)
    - ISACA 1,200 Database (Paid)
    - CISA: Essential exam. Note (Less than $10) ----poor written, but good information
    - ISAC -CISA Offical 2014 Review Mannual (only for reference, borrowing from my coworker)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • rblockmonrblockmon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FrankMat74 wrote: »
    I used that test book. Would recommend.

I know you recommend, but does it put you to sleep?
  • empsecukempsecuk Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally found the official review material... a little lacking..

But the point is, it's a review, it's like reading a bunch of flash cards you've made whilst studying a course or something...

The most useful tool - for me - was the questions and answers database.. Having taken part in real audits for years (PCI and ISO 27001), I used primarily used my experience and then tailored it to the ISACA mindset through the questions database, and the review manual for areas I knew I was specifically lacking.. E.g. some of the ISACA standards, and the sampling techniques...

The database was great, because it's worth reading the reasoning as to why you were correct, and why you were wrong.. Because, from ISACA's viewpoint, sometimes your right for the reason you may not think you are etc...
  • wearingmyrolexwearingmyrolex Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to say, Chapter 4 is making me sad... The vast majority of it is just definition, quickly glossing over network terms from which I cannot derive a question. I've almost finished the chapter and the only thing I'm going to get out of it is the DRP/BCP section. 32 days to go, yay...
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CPA wrote: »
    It looks like this study guide gets great reviews: David L. Cannon's "CISA Certified Information Systems Auditor Study Guide".

David actually has another CISA book on the way according to Barnes and Noble as the ETA is 2015.
  • FrankMat74FrankMat74 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rblockmon- The Cannon title did not. It hit the appropriate points. I had the AIO title first, but was feeling a little pain after the first chapter; I normally use that series over other titles, but Cannon continued to keep me focused.
  • EZ2015EZ2015 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CPA,

I'm assuming you have a background in accounting as you have cpa as your username. I'm an accounting student interested in getting into IS auditing and wondering how your studying is going for the CISA exam? I'm using the CISA review Manual book, which I find to be okay and hopefully it will prepare me well for the exam. Do you have prior experience in IS auditing or any IT?