WGU and no GPA

zackmaxzackmax Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
For those of you who are in or have graduated from WGU, where do you run into problems with no GPA?
I assume generally applying for Masters/grad school.
Would it also be a problem if I wanted to work in a different country ?

Thanks

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    zackmax wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    For those of you who are in or have graduated from WGU, where do you run into problems with no GPA?
    I assume generally applying for Masters/grad school.
    Would it also be a problem if I wanted to work in a different country ?

Thanks
    Other than applying for a graduate degree, i cant see where your undergrad GPA would ever come into play. Should be very rare.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, it hasn't. I was also accepted to Virginia Tech for their Master's of Information Technology based on my B.S. - IT from WGU.
  • zackmaxzackmax Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you.
    I have an Associate degree (Computer Programming) and a few certifications. If I went for Excelsior or TESC due to GPA factor, would it be the same cost, speed, and toughness-wise?

Thanks!
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    It's been my experience that GPA doesn't really matter for a job unless you are applying to an entry level/internship type position that is targeting recent or soon to be graduates with little to no work history.
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From http://alumni.wgu.edu/s/1110/noRtCol.asp...Acceptance

"Our WGU graduates have been accepted into graduate school programs by different traditional universities. Through conversations with graduates, we've discovered that a majority of the time the graduation application process went smooth. In a few cases, WGU graduates need to include an explanation of WGU’s competency-based model and grading system. If this is needed, WGU can supply an explanation letter to the graduate to include with their application materials."
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
    Thanks so generally speaking this is a better option than TESC or Excelsior?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on your situation. I chose COSC over WGU. Because of the number of credits I have and how they transferred, COSC ended up being cheaper and possibly faster then WGU.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like the others said, you shouldn't have a problem with the GPA. Since it's regionally accredited you shouldn't have a problem trying to get a job in other countries. Which school out of the 3 is better depends on your situation and the number of relevant credits you have. Since you have an Associate's degree, most if not all the general education courses should be done. If I were you, I'd make a spread sheet and compare each school side by side. There are many factors that come into play here.
    Thank you everyone.
    Last question, how do transferred and tested out credits appear on transcripts for TESC, Excelsior, COSC ?
    At WGU I'd think it would just show as Pass or Fail.

Thanks!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For COSC, the advising worksheets and the unofficial transcripts show grades for transferred classes and P for my certification exams. I'm assuming the official transcripts would show the same thing.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Thanks Andy. So I assume the CLEP and DSST would also show as grades?