career advice

gizmo43gizmo43 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need career advice, I am working in IT industry and have 4+ year experience. I started with level 1 support and am still working in the same service desk role.

I have CCNA & CCNA voice certificate now.

I need suggestion on what I should do next that will help me to jump into next level with above qualification and experience.

I can get similar kind of role but I am looking for a role in the next level ?

Shall I continue CCNP or move to MCSA>MCSE certificaton ?

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well what do you actually want to do? Do you want to work with strictly networking? Servers? etc
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    What is the next level mean to you?
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Are you actively looking for jobs right now? If so, what kind of jobs have you been applying for?
  • gizmo43gizmo43 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Well what do you actually want to do? Do you want to work with strictly networking? Servers? etc
    I think if I have bit of network experience and knowledge and same time if I have server side exposure then I will be easy to sell my skills.
    I think small medium business don't want hire separate two person for above role.
    Then it will be easy for me for get network/server administration job ?
    Yes I am looking jobs outside but very difficult to only network administrator job.
  • srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think certifications are great, but you should really try to take on new responsibilities at work. I was able to get promoted to Sys Admin within approximately 8 months of starting in IT. Part of it was being in the right place at the right time. The other part of it was working extra hours to take on responsibilities that were relevant to an admin position.

Can you stay late a few nights a week to help any of the sys admins/network engineers? Can you get your hands on the imaging system or patching? This is the kind of stuff that will either get you promoted internally, or will build your resume for jobs elsewhere.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You may want to look at finding a NOC type of job to break into networking. Getting a network admin job will definitely be a bit tougher to do without some sort of networking experience, there will definitely be more competition and you'll be going up against experienced people who will probably be able to hit the ground running. Having the chance to be promoted internally is huge and one that if you have the ability to move up in your organization is great in that aspect as they know the type of employee you are and will be more than happy to train you. Now, if those positions are limited and they aren't growing, that can be quite a bit tougher. NOC jobs, especially if you are starting out, will likely be a 2nd 3rd shift type of work initially until you have built up your experience and you luck out and can move into a day shift, but the experience would be great for your goal of getting into networking.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Where are you located? How many jobs have you applied for and have you landed any interviews? How did the interviews go?
    I am leaving in NSW and I have applied few jobs but no luck icon_sad.gif
    I am happy to stay back but not much opportunity where I am working and very limited opportunities in NOC. icon_sad.gif