demoted and very upset

daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
I worked as a technician for 2 years, worked hard and was promoted to the sys admin role. Two months ago my manager hired a technician who was a previous sys admin. I figured ok, they were planning for my eventual leaving of this position (14 months of being a sys admin). Well as luck has it I have had bad luck looking for positions. (offers fell through, hiring freeze ect ect)

Three weeks ago my manager started micromanaging me and looking for for any dirt he could find. He then started going to upper management for small infractions. Eventually he had enough that the director had me demoted back to the technician position and made the new employee the sys admin!

The funny thing is, my current manager is under investigation of his treatment of employees, and several people have come forward. I have been documenting all of my encounters with him, starting before I was demoted.

Part of this post is to rant, but also I am wondering if anyone else has been through this humilitating process, and was an investigation enough to get the person fired?

I sure would for obvious reasons like to see this manager get canned, before he finds some other nonsense to get rid of me. Three previous employees were treated horribly by this guy before they were let go. I'm having trouble sleeping at night, and I am constantly stressed where I feel sick. Yes I am looking like crazy for a new position as I type this!

any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Red_DragonRed_Dragon Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You clearly have an amazing IT portfolio with all of those certs, you might need to take this up with HR.
    BSIT: Bachelors of Science in Information Technology
  • NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Simply put...that sucks. I don't have any better news for you though. Yes, I've been through it and I've never come out the other side of it a winner. The best I've ever gotten was the satisfaction of the supervisor getting canned a few days after I left, but YRMV.

My advice would be to make the best of it now while you have the opportunity to look for a new gig while getting paid and make a graceful exit.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look at the bright side, at least you'll still have an income while you are still looking for a new job.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No use getting stressed over it. You have more than enough exp to find another job easy. If you are looking for another job why not start an investigation with HR. Whats the worst thats going to happen, he fires you? Gonna happen anyway.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Sorry to hear it. That's why I never let my intentions to leave be known to my employer until I have an offer letter in hand and give my notice.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Yes I agree wholeheartedly. I haven't made my intentions known to anyone. I guess this type of thing is more common than I thought.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like the classic shark attack.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I've been demoted before. It happens. Just like you small things became big things and I lost my position a company. The problem was that I was still getting the same assignments as before. I sucked it up for 7 months building my skills up and certing up. I eventually left the position and got a senior position elsewhere. It was one of the best things to happen to me. You have to always be on your game, they are others looking to take you down or take your spot. Also just like you the person who demoted me was going to get fired eventually and they left, but not before they left a path of disaster.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    David,

This is what happened to me as far as being Micro-Managed before I left my company. I was in the same situation as you, I worked very hard for the first four months, got promoted from Move Technician to Help Desk Technician. Then I worked after working for the company for 2 years and 4 months they just decided to re-structure management and soon before I knew it my old manager was gone and so were everyone who I had worked with the past two years except for me and three other people. The new manager did not know my work ethic and how hard i worked to get my position so he started micromanaging my tasks and looking at every single one of my tickets. I was their weekend help desk support for 2 years! I did everything possible to make sure customers needs were met.

However, they did not like my personality even though my old manager did and was fine with it. I took on every assignment I was given and not given a raise. I didn't complain, but I had enough when the new manager wrote me up and told me that he was going to let me go if he did not see any improvements from me and didn't tell me anything about what I could improve on. My ticket score was different then others because a lot of the calls I got stuck with could only be taken care of by on-site. My previous manager knew this and she was fine with it and saw that I kept improving.

I tried talking to my new manager about it but then out of anger got myself fired from that position because they were not treating my fairly. They were treating new people better then me. However, I did retain 30 contacts including 3 recommendations which I have on linkedin from that company. I also remained very good friends with my previous help desk manager and my move technician manager. I also have been endorsed by many of my former colleagues who left the company before the re-restructuring happened.

Anyways when I tell recruiters stuff I just say I left because I wanted to be promoted and the company could not promote from within and this seems to be an okay answer. My company I worked for kept everything sealed tightly and did not let anything get to the outside world so even if recruiters called they would not be able to talk to anyone about my past job performance except for ex employees of the company. That is fine by me. I know its different for everyone. Don't get fired out of anger, leave before anything bad happens.

I have been able to get Help Desk jobs after and even though they only lasted for a month each because of over staffing I know I can get them and I am qualified with them and have good references. Make sure you collect references, get endorsements and do anything from your co workers before quitting or else you will be out of luck. That is one thing I pat myself on the back for doing before I left.

Right now I am getting lots of calls for recruiters about Help Desk jobs but can't take any because I have to finish my bachelors degree which will be done in June 2015 then I can start working again.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It seems there are 2 different scenarios.
    I will start with the OP.

Daviddws,
    You must understand when you go to HR. HR's job would be to cover for management unless there is blatant misuse or abuse. Your particular issue can only be helped if others (3 or more) come up as a united front. Going down this rabbit hole is very tricky. All of you must be copious in your documentation of this person and present it to HR and his management. Before you do this, you may want to make sure that you have a job because you may be let go.... I'm just sayin'.
    Even if you go to management and they keep your boss, he may be placing his sights on you making your job more difficult.

Keep taking notes and document his/her communication in email and look into getting a new job.

Armymanis,
    It seems that you are a victim of management change. This happens a great deal of time. I have had 4 boss changes within 1 year.
    Sometimes you just can't control who you work for but you can control what you do in your job. Get a punching bag and use it to get some of your frustration out.... or use yoga. It can calm the savage beast. You have to control your anger. Your point comes across better when you are not in a rant and are calm and cool about the situation.
    You may want to go back to work full/part time while going to school. If not, take more classes and finish early. It will help.... or take the time off and concentrate on your studies.... different strokes...

I hope this helps you both!!!!
  • Armymanis1Armymanis1 Banned Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bigdogz,

I am taking more classes to finish early so i can get another help desk job early. I am not sure what David is going to do since we are unsure of his living situation. I am living with my family so I don't have to worry about rent. If David is wanting to get higher maybe he should get a bachelors degree while he is working. Or if he lives with his family he could quit and just stop working and start school. I believe in this competing world you need education, experience, and certifications in order to survive. Looks like he has the certs and experience but he may need an associates or a bachelors to get noticed.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd also advise against contacing HR. They work for the company and are there to do what's best for them, not you.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    x2
    My experience of HR at a previous employer is very negative, during investigations emails and documentation supporting my (and others) case 'went missing' yet they found everything they could to throw at us. I feel for you David it's a horrible situation. You seem like a top bloke with an excellent resume of work experience and Certs so hoping you find another (better) gig soon. Good luck man!
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    If I am in your shoe, I would put a smily face on and find a different job. As soon as I get the offer, I give them 24 hours notice. Yet, it seems the management is not nice; however, future employers always ask you for the previous employer contact information. It is better giving them civil termination instead disgruntle termination.

In my previous position, I was not demoted...but deduced 35% salary with new company on the same project and position. From $95,000.00 to $62,500.00; I stayed with them for a year. Then started exploring my different adventure, look it me now, I am making triple....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    daviddws wrote: »
    I worked as a technician for 2 years, worked hard and was promoted to the sys admin role. Two months ago my manager hired a technician who was a previous sys admin. I figured ok, they were planning for my eventual leaving of this position (14 months of being a sys admin). Well as luck has it I have had bad luck looking for positions. (offers fell through, hiring freeze ect ect)

Are you saying that you told HR you were leaving?
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Time to find a new company!
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback. It makes me feel a little better about the situation. As I have never experienced this before It was a real eye opener as to how shady some departments can be. Scary stuff.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's probably no fault of your own as the Manager who came in is most likely looking to rebuilding the entire department with "his/her" employees. They knew that the old manager wasn't viewed in good eyes by the prior upper level staff and you were likely guilty by association. Honestly, as others have said, brush up your resume and get out of there as soon as you can. It's better to leave on your own terms (civilly mind you) than to be laid off/fired.

Good luck in your future career path!
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, just to add, you can be sure HR were informed of the situation and advised the best way to do this without exposing themselves to legal difficulties.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I would just take it as a sign that its time to polish up your resume, maybe even get in touch with someone who does it professionally, and find a new job.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless your talking about a union job with a pension I don't think it's worth going the HR route.
    Companies usually don't want to be bothered even if it's a legitimate complaint. If you stand to loose a bonus or any type of lifetime benefits then definitely pursue what you are entitled to.

I suggest you accept it for what it is and move on. The boss wanted to replace you and so he did what he had to do to make that happen.

Good Luck!
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I agree with the group, if ever there was the proverbial writing on the wall, this is it. Go find another job, there are enough openings that someone will snap you up. My advice about HR is to only go to them if something illegal is happening, like sexual harassment or modifying time-cards. Even in that case I would be more likely to go to the labor board or a lawyer. I don't trust HR as far as I can throw them, and I am personal friends with the members of my HR department. They look out for the company, assume they will always side with management because they normally do.

As an aside, I wouldn't have let it get that far. As soon as they hired this other a-hole you should have been getting your resume out. Once the micromanagement started you should have had your two weeks in. No matter who you look at, you will find something you don't like if you scrutinize hard enough. Once under that microscope, your only play is to get a different job. Good luck to you.
  • epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Time to find a new job. It happens so send out your resume to everyone. You can go and fight but HR will cover for him and then you want have a job. Now once you get a new job go for it maybe someone will listen.