Opinions: Should I list my injury/disability on my cover sheet, LinkedIn profile, etc

mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for some opinions. I'm trying to get my first IT job. I have my A+ and Net+ so far, plus a lot of personal tech knowledge, but almost zero IT experience. All my recent experience has been doing construction.

However I had an overuse injury, which turned into a serious bone/joint condition, which is preventing me from working construction because I can't stand or carry for long periods. Now I don't think this would affect an IT type position at all. I can still stand for at least half the day, I can lift, walk, I even do hikes, exercise, and jog short distances, and other athletic things. I'm quite fit, probably nobody would know anything was wrong by looking, the problems only come into play if I stand for too long at one time, like what's required for construction.

Anyways I'm wondering if I should mention this on cover letters, my LinkedIn profile, etc? (obviously condensed down a little, just saying something like disabled construction worker trying to get into IT)

On one hand, I feel like it could help, because my resume/profile may look a little odd right now. People probably think "why is this long time construction worker applying for an IT position?", or "Why does his LinkedIn profile say he's an IT professional, when he's clearly a construction worker?".

On the other hand, I feel maybe it would hurt it, raising red flags not wanting to hire anyone with health issues, or simply being "too much information" to be putting on an introduction.

What do you guys think, would it be helpful to explain the sudden career change, or harmful being too much information?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it would fall into the "too much information" category for a cover letter/LinkedIn.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Leave it out. It's not relevant to your knowledge/training, and is only likely to hurt you. Appropriate time to mention it is during an interview when they ask you why you changed to IT, and not even necessarily then.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I agree with Networker. You do not have to disclose the information until you get hired on.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say leave it out. Just out of curiosity, why the change from construction to IT? A career change like that might be somewhat difficult because you will have to adapt to being indoors almost the entire day. I ask because I know others that have come to IT from outdoor fields and absolutely hated being indoors.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Leave it off, you're just giving someone a reason to question your ability when they have no reason to.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about explaining changing careers from construction. More than likely no one will ask. I'm shifting from auto mechanics and have never been asked why the switch in careers. If you are asked though avoiding medical would best, if possible, such as you are more interested in IT, if that's true for you. You are better off preparing for why you are interested in IT and with your certs you may never hear this question either.

I have some medical history which kept me out of work for years, at first I tried explaining it in a cover letter and put it on my chronological resume to fill the hole, it was unsuccessful. Often interviewers ask about the hole and I say I had a recurring medical issue that has been dealt with and it's worked okay but usually get questioned if I can perform the job. I'd suggest not even bringing medical up unless absolutely needed. In your case I don't see why you would unless you are applying for physical jobs or have years off of work because of it. In general I don't think people like hearing about medical history and at least in the USA it's seen as confidential information.

If you are having trouble getting callbacks and using a chronological resume you might have better luck with a functional resume to show off your skills instead of your job history. There's some examples in the resume thread. After I made this change I went from 2 callbacks in 6 months to 2-3 callbacks a week and am getting overwhelmed.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • mxmaniacmxmaniac Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

In response to Cyberscum's question, I personally would much rather work indoors. Maybe some would disagree, but I find working outdoors one of the more miserable parts of construction. Sure, you get about 10 days out of the year where the weather is just right, and its really enjoyable, but most of the time its not. Often doing fast, heavy, physical labor in 90 or even 100+ temps just sweating like a faucet while your balls get chaffed so raw you walk like a cowboy. Or else in freezing rain getting blasted by constant wind while you are soaked and shivering with your hands so numb that you can't even feel if your holding onto your tools or not without visibly checking. Getting to work indoors, in a climate controlled environment would be a huge step up in my opinion.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On LinkedIn, cover letter and resume you are trying to sell your skills to a potential employer for money.

What is the upside to listing your injury/disability?

If they ask about disabilities don't lie about it but if they never ask just assume it is not an issue.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mxmaniac wrote: »
    while your balls get chaffed so raw you walk like a cowboy.
    Ok IT it is....Good Luck!