Get into a NOC

sysguysysguy Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a few certs like the CCNA and comptias. I would really like to break into the networking side of IT and I am finding it difficult. I have a little less then a year worth of experience and would like to find a NOC job. I live in southern California and I dont see alot of postings for them(San Diego area).

At my current location I work very little with the network equipment and do alot of technical support type of work. I find myself bored more then anything here.

How did some of you find your noc job? or networking job.

Any good leads?

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work in a NOC. I took training for the CompTIA trio, which helped me get an interview with a large telecom. Thankfully, they were looking to add people who were new to telecom and had just instituted an in-house training program for those without prior experience. My CompTIA Network+, military experience, and softskills helped me get into that program. I did quite well and was given one of two or three coveted NOC jobs. Very interesting and enlightening experiences have flowed since.

Since you have certs, but limited experience, I would suggest:

1. Let your manager/supervisor know of your ambition to work with network equipment.
    2. Reach out to the manager in charge of your company's network equipment and let him/her know you have your CCNA and really want to work for him/her.
    3. Talk to the various charities in your area and offer network support services. While not the same as getting experience working on Cisco equipment, it will still provide some troubleshooting experience that you can add to your resume.
    4. Go to your local community college and make friends with their network guys. Volunteer to help them out. Whatever it takes to gain experience and better prepare yourself to move into a networking position in the future.
    5. LinkedIn, meetup.com, and Cisco Users Groups will be instrumental in providing the necessary contacts that might eventually lead to a job in networking.
    6. Take out the CCENT/CCNA exam objectives and make videos. Post them to Youtube, link them to a blog or LinkedIn, and position yourself as a Subject Matter Expert.

Overall, keep your chin up and the opportunity you are looking for will materialize.

Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Teksystems for my first NOC job. Didn't have any problems with them. For my 2nd job I saw the job listed on Indeed, and applied through the company website.

If you are just starting out I'd say a recruiting agency might be beneficial to you. If you don't like that idea just scour job sites like Indeed, Dice, and others. Once you've found a job start networking like crazy. Sometimes it's all about who you know.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    If you really want a NOC position in San Diego, there are a few openings at EarthLink right now (Mira Mesa area): https://dk.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/17151728
  • imarriedacowimarriedacow Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My sister company is an ISP based on Kearny Mesa. We recently just had a NOC Engineer put in his 2 weeks notice. I'll send you a PM with more info.
    Apparently there's not a way to me to PM? Sorry, please excuse my ignorance, this is my first time posting...
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By default PM's are disabled, the recipient has to enable them in the general settings page.

A little OT but hopefully relevant for OP. Those that work or have worked for NOC's are the hours usually long and unconventional?

For example, 8 10 hour days then 6 days off.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All dependent on the job. I work 3 12s and get 3 days off. Then work 4 11's, and get 4 days.
    I work four tens then have three days off.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    techfiend wrote: »
    By default PM's are disabled, the recipient has to enable them in the general settings page.

A little OT but hopefully relevant for OP. Those that work or have worked for NOC's are the hours usually long and unconventional?

5 x 8 hour shifts and was actually compensated for overtime.....
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, those are all within reason. I'll take this 8 x 10 hours opportunity as an abnormality. I bet they have trouble finding people that will do that and they said 4 x 10 with 3 off is not something they'd consider, even if it would raise morality.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

I see, thanks for pointing that out.

Sysguy, let me know if you're interested and I'll send you more info.
  • sysguysysguy Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see, thanks for pointing that out.

Sysguy, let me know if you're interested and I'll send you more info.

yes im interested, if you can send me some information
    Thanks guys, those are all within reason. I'll take this 8 x 10 hours opportunity as an abnormality. I bet they have trouble finding people that will do that and they said 4 x 10 with 3 off is not something they'd consider, even if it would raise morality.

We have two teams, Sunday to Wednesday and Wednesday to Saturday, so 4x10 works. Wednesdays are tough because we have so many people, but, it does allow people to take a PTO day without it negatively affecting our ability to handle incidents.

sysguy wrote: »
    yes im interested, if you can send me some information

What's your email?
  • sysguysysguy Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's your email?

you can use systemsguy99@gmail.com.

thanks
    sysguy wrote: »
    you can use systemsguy99@gmail.com.