cheap/useless certs

I was looking at the list of cheap certs and I see HP & Brocade on the list, while I would love to be the phone guy with HP certs while the HP site support doesn't is there any real value to these cheap certs?

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you are a tech and your business requires these certs then yes there is value to them.

Outside of this scenario...no, no value at all.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Some people love picking low hanging fruit, go ahead if you're bored.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Six Sigma White Belt is a start. :)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    To be fair, Brocade owns a huge chunk of the SAN switching market. As far as HPs, I have seen some cheaper MSPs running HP switches. They aren't horrible but they aren't what I could call great either. I suppose it depends on where you are in our career or where you're working. If you're going to be working in an environment where you're constantly servicing different customer environments, it's good to have a knowledge of different products.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • hi-techhi-tech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    true, these certs will only benefit some one who works in HP products
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as HPs, I have seen some cheaper MSPs running HP switches.

I work in K-12 education, and I see a lot of HP switches in this environment. HP will practically give them away to school systems for next to nothing, and for a non-critical environment like that, they're perfect for what they do (nobody really seems to care about 24/7 uptime in a public school). They don't do everything that a more expensive Cisco or Juniper will, but they serve a purpose. I haven't heard good things about HP routers, but we don't have any onsite, so I wouldn't know.

Honestly, there is so little difference between Cisco and HP command line that getting certified in anything HP just seems like a waste. Once you get the whole VLAN tagged/untagged/no untagged down, you're golden. And trying to navigate/register at the HP ExpertONE site is enough to make anyone lose interest.
  • rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Brocade SAN stuff is okay. However, if I ever applied for a job and they were a Brocade/Foundry network shop I would look somewhere else. I wouldn't waste your time on it, but IIRC there is a way to take it that is almost free.