Options

Internship to Full-time Salary Increase

DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I'm in my last two semesters of college for my cyber security degree and got into an Internship with a relatively new company that has a few offices in my state. The Position is Help Desk Technician and I do everything from fixing a Laptop or desktop to building a new PC or troubleshoot network connectivity issues, printers, and monitors. They started me out at $16 an hour and it has been brought to my attention by the owner of the business that after school they would like to hire me full time. As of right now I have alot to do there it's just me and the director of the IT department over seeing five businesses. My question is when we sit down to discuss pay I don't feel that $16 an hour is something I would still work for being a full-time employee with a bachelor's degree and certifications,I would like more. I understand this is a help desk position and in my state (RI) i'm making just slightly more that the average help desk salary. Would asking for $25 an hour or more be crossing the line? This is my first tech job and even though my major is security I would like to get some experience in and learn as much as possible before I get into the Security forensics field.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can certainly ask for a raise. Try to find any info on entry level pay rates for the area. Not always easy but you need to know what the competition is. Make sure you evaluate your value to the company before you approach them. Determine an amount need to live then determine a value that will meet your goals. $25 is random back it up so you can be confident discussing it. In the end most people say getting the first job is the hardest so if you are learning a lot there I would try to go full time for a year or two and take in as much knowledge as possible. Good Luck!
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I'm in Western Mass and work for a 7 billion dollar bank, HD starts around 16.50 and level 2 around 18, so I say what your making is on par.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One way of finding out, is interviewing at other firms & seeing that they're offering as well.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)