Last month of job in resumee

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
I always struggle with which month put as the last I've worked in a position, current month or the next one.

For example, assume someone ended a job October 15. What would yo put as the end month, October or November? Assuming a common format of using the month and the year, but not the day of the month.

Someone may consider an end date of October as "worked up to September 30", but others might consider October as worked up to "October 31".

What do you do?

Comments

• 210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Current month is usual in my experience. If you work until October 15, I would expect it to be start month, year - October, 2014
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Agreed. Go with current month.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While I don't put months and never had an issue with it. I would put that as October, even if it was Oct 31. The most you'd ever miss in this situation is a month and I don't think an interviewer would question a month (more) out of the work force, if they did I would question the interviewer.

If they checked and you only worked until September 25, they could take that as dishonest and end discussion.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    While I don't put months and never had an issue with it.
    and what do you do if a job lasted less than a year?
    If it went past a new year I put 2013-2014. However my experience is irrelevant to the field and I use a functional resume to hide it. On a chronological with relevant experience I'd probably add months but I haven't faced that situation yet.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    Today filling my CV in some sites I noticed why this question doesn't make sense to you. It seems the last month is not the same in Spain and in English speaking countries.

Assume a job from Sep 1 to Oct 31. If in a English job site (or LinkedIn) you put Sep - Oct, it will say 2 months. However, if you put the same on a Spanish job site, it says just 1 month.
    Sep - Oct means 1 month to me in USA. It's more important to be accurate on your CV then try to fill a month or two of an unemployment period.
    For instance, LinkedIn won't let me put Sep - Nov because still it's not November.