Options

Need Help Please.

tayyibtayyib Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I always wanted to get into IT but finally i have made my mind to get into it. I love programming side of it but Networking seems good to me for long run. I don`t want to start of the basic and finish i really really want to go big. I was advised that i shouldn`t waste my time on MCSA win7. As i know loads of OS from Win95 to Win7 been on these troubleshooting etc.. I was advised go for CCNA rather than MCSA. I want to know which CCNA will be best.
CCNA Voice
CCNA Routing & switching
CCNa Security
Idea behind is to get into entry level job based on networking and work my way up.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNA R&S is likely to be the most useful, and the easiest for you to pick up, if you've worked on desktop windows flavors.

That being said, an MCSA would probably be an easier starting point,a nd would be more useful for entry level jobs.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have any certs or cisco experience currently?

I also have interest in networking and tried jumping right in with CCENT and found it to be a mistake but a good learning experience. While I went in with knowledge of some of the topics, I found it to be to too much right away and backed up to A+ and now Net+ to ease into it. With the A+ and expecting Net+ on resume I have been getting interviews and recruiters calling. I would suggest doing a few free CCENT practice tests first to help you decide if you are ready to learn all of that.

If think you can and jump right into the 1 test CCNA no one can really tell you what interests you have. One thing that might help other members with those certs is briefly what do you want to do eventually? Pen test, network design, etc.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    tayyibtayyib Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Do you have any certs or cisco experience currently?

I also have interest in networking and tried jumping right in with CCENT and found it to be a mistake but a good learning experience. While I went in with knowledge of some of the topics, I found it to be to too much right away and backed up to A+ and now Net+ to ease into it. With the A+ and expecting Net+ on resume I have been getting interviews and recruiters calling. I would suggest doing a few free CCENT practice tests first to help you decide if you are ready to learn all of that.

If think you can and jump right into the 1 test CCNA no one can really tell you what interests you have. One thing that might help other members with those certs is briefly what do you want to do eventually? Pen test, network design, etc.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't have any certification. I was guided towards MCSA win7 then someone on forum suggested that CCNA is a good route. I want to go into*networking side. As am new to IT I may be making mistake taking wrong course or wrong side of IT?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't think of it as a mistake. Everyone takes a different path.

The real question is how did someone sway you to look at CCNA when your still asking the basic entry level questions.
    I suggest you look for job ads in your area and see what is being requested in the kind of jobs you are interested in.
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you might want to look at what you have the most interest or passion in, or which skill is in most demand. One great way to do this is to research your local job markets, and see what job opportunities are available in your field, and see what requirements, skills, and certifications are being looked for.