Ok, now it's my turn for a job offer dilemma. New job offer/waiting on internal offer

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
Backstory: My wife and I moved our family from Jacksonville, FL to Tampa, FL last year, decided this year to move back. I got the OK from my manager and his Director to post internally to positions that are either work from home or located in Jacksonville.

After posting internally to some positions I ended interviewing for a position back in September for a great position doing 3rd party IS assessments. Interview went great and I was pegged for a second interview, which went great as well. However now they are seriously dragging their feet on things, added some additional interviews and the process has been stretched out longer than I was advised last month.

As well, I have entertained some external opportunities that seemed promising. One was a Senior Information Security Administrator position that involves about 70% technical work and 30% GRC/Audit work. I'll be getting to deal with firewalls, IDS/IPS, system hardening, vulnerability assessments, access control, security software, and then the GRC/Audit stuff. The position is great, they pay for training as budget allows, but they do reimburse for passed certs. The benefits are great and are almost half of what I pay now. It's a nice pay raise as well. A great opportunity.

I've sent a couple of emails this week to the internal recruiter here to get her to reach out to the manager for status or at least feedback on where I stand, and apparently she just wont do that and is giving me the canned response of letting me know when she hears something. I've even tried to nudge her by saying I have important work projects that I either need to commence or train my co-worker to handle. Still the same thing.

I'm of the opinion and have mentioned in other threads relating to counter offers and looking for jobs while still employed, that I believe in NEVER letting your current boss/employer know you are looking outside of the company. I feel it falls under the same reasoning of why you do not accept counteroffers; once it's known you are looking to leave or have been looking to leave, you're looked at as disloyal and generally pegged as first out the door when a RIF hits.

So what is my play here? I've been contemplating just letting the internal recruiter know that hey, I actually have another offer so give me a yea or nay. But again, even if the hiring manager does have me as their top choice, how will I be perceived. Tough call. I'm leaning towards just accepting this offer and moving on.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tough indeed. What kind of promotional opportunities are available to you in your current environment? If you like the culture and you're confident in your network there, I'd say stick around and see how far you can climb. There really is no need to leave a great situation if you're happy.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    That is a tough one but it sounds like you're getting tired of the BS that's piling up, and if it's like this now then how will it be in the future?

I vote for taking the new job--it sounds awesome from just about all angles.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely a tough call but like the post above me says, the new job sounds pretty enticing especially since you will get to work hands-on with a lot of equipment and software and really get a firm understanding of the technical side of things. That coupled with your already firm grasp of the policy/GRC side of security and you should be really well rounded and even more marketable down the road.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    New job sounds like a better plan for you.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Go for the tech work. Sounds fun!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    broli720 wrote: »
    Tough indeed. What kind of promotional opportunities are available to you in your current environment? If you like the culture and you're confident in your network there, I'd say stick around and see how far you can climb. There really is no need to leave a great situation if you're happy.

Right now I work in one of the largest global finance firms so it's a matter of just posting, but also competing with a lot of other people. As far as my current position, I'm not happy because it's too easy and not room for growth in my current line of business. I like the culture, but I'm sick of the mega-corporation red tape and all of the other things that come with working for one. If I was already back in Jacksonville I'd probably just stick it out and try to lateral into a different InfoSec position, but at this point we just have to get back to Jacksonville.

lsud00d wrote: »
    That is a tough one but it sounds like you're getting tired of the BS that's piling up, and if it's like this now then how will it be in the future?

I vote for taking the new job--it sounds awesome from just about all angles.

The new job is awesome and it's a great opportunity not just to gain a lot more varied InfoSec experience, but also to help the company out with some initiatives and bring some stuff in-house.

zxbane wrote: »
    Definitely a tough call but like the post above me says, the new job sounds pretty enticing especially since you will get to work hands-on with a lot of equipment and software and really get a firm understanding of the technical side of things. That coupled with your already firm grasp of the policy/GRC side of security and you should be really well rounded and even more marketable down the road.

Yes definitely! The experience I will gain coupled with some other credentials, added to my existing resume will definitely make me more marketable and lead to some great opportunities later on.

CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    New job sounds like a better plan for you.

That's what I'm leaning toward. I have to decide tomorrow, so we'll see.

Cyberscum wrote: »
    Go for the tech work. Sounds fun!

It does sound a lot more fun than my current position. I grilled them pretty good on my in-person interview and I was pleased with all of the information and feedback I received.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Does the new job cover your families needs (benefits, locations, schedule, etc)? Then does it cover your career progression (exposure to new stuff, promotions, etc)? If you and your wife like the answers then I would say its a good fit and you should jump ship.
    da_vato wrote: »
    Does the new job cover your families needs? (benefits, locations, schedule, etc) Then does it cover your career progression? (exposure to new stuff, promotions, etc). If you and your wife like the answers then I would say its a good fit and jump ship.

Yes to both and that's why of the internal position and two others I was in final contention for, this was the position that was number one on my list. I was really hoping the internal position would come through or at least an offer be in so I can really compare.

But yes, the new position has better healthcare than my current employer offers and is also half of what my current healthcare is (the new employer is a quasi-governement agency), the location will put us back in Jacksonville, schedule is what I have now. As far as career progression, yes and no. My ultimate goal is management so it doesn't check that box, nor really put me closer, but as far as exposure to new stuff and building my resume, absolutely! So all in all, it's a great opportunity and why I'm leaning towards just accepting it and moving on. I just hate to not know what is up with the internal position.
    You can look to the future or dwell on the past... If you think this is a good job for your family as a whole then I don't see the harm. Maybe you would have seen more money if you had just waited but with healthcare being more expensive how much disposable income would you really have seen, comparatively?
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19,

I think you should just jump ship. Keep helping new guy and when you get the offer in writing give your notice. If they ask, you can just say it was a wonderful experience but it is time to move on. .... I think you know the talk!!!! :)

You now know what the business end of obtaining a job internally within corporate America.
    I think you are better off leaving because the new company will provide: training and imbursement of certification, better pay, hands on, and most of all it is a guarantee of a new future as opposed the HOPE of CHANCE gaining a position.

Good Luck!!!
    After much thought yesterday, and sleeping on it, today I have accepted the offer and will be moving on. I'm very happy with the new opportunity and it puts my family in a much better situation. While I am disappointed in my company's lack of effort in the internal recruiting process for the internal position, I feel that in the end, this is the better choice for me.
    Well, Congrats on the new job JoJoCal19. I am glad you were able to come to decision that works for you and your family.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and I would agree with you and others that you made the right decision.. Now, a few years down the road, better opportunities may come from this experience you will earn and who knows, you could find yourself back with the company you are leaving for an even better role.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, best of luck!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations and good luck!!!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations & best of luck with the new job!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats JoJoCal19!! Keep us up to date with how the new job goes.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Their loss is your gain. You said you were tired of megacorp red tape and your internal job search was just another example of what was wrong.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Good move, congratulations!
    Gave my two weeks notice today. Went well and my manager was happy for me to be able to move back to Jacksonville, as I expected. He was obviously disappointed to lose me but he knew I was posting internally so he was preprared for my eventual departure. And no paid two week vacation for me. I'll be working until my last day next Friday as I am creating a complete set of procdural documentation for my job functions so that my eventual replacement can come right in and do the job.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Jojo, congrats on the new position. I know it doesn't seem like it progresses you towards management, but I am sure it will open doors for you in the future that you wouldn't have access to had you stayed in your current job.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck in your next role!