Options

Could this non-IT job help me at all in the future?

powdered toast manpowdered toast man Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Right now i'm trying to find any job to get by and help pay for my IT certs etc.. I have a couple options for a job I can take but one in particular is a call center position calling doctors offices requesting medical charts for insurance companies.. My question is could this call center experience help me in the future with a help desk position in the IT field even though it's medical related? I figured it would because it is phone experience but I just wanted to see if I could get others opinions... Thanks :)

I could get a job as a cashier or something that is closer to where I live but I thought maybe this call center job would be more beneficial experience wise...

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

The reason I asked is because the first IT job I got, I was going in to interview for a call center job calling doctor's offices to request medical charts and the owner liked my interest in computers and put me to work doing IT work instead. I'm curious if it's the same place.

Either way, I would volunteer to help with ANYTHING IT-related they need just to make it somewhat relevant to your future. If they don't take you up on it, that's fine but at least you can offer. For the first year of my IT career, I was working as a security guard at night to make enough money to pay for my certifications. The security job was very laid back. I was sitting in my car in the middle of a Fedex warehouse yard at night when no one was around. The only thing to do was study so I was able to knock out the CompTIAs easily.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I live in Arizona, I just moved here a few months ago from the New England area... boy is it a different planet out here lol!

That's funny... the Super Bowl is here this year and they are hiring for security guards at $13 an hour but I am only 5"6' and not so much a "security guard person" lol! so I passed on that...

That's awesome that you gained some experience in IT applying for the same type of job I did.... I am going through a staffing agency for this job so they are only interested in hiring me for this position only.

I have a couple other options a bit closer to where I live as either a cashier or a caregiver but I thought just maybe this call center job would help me with phone experience for a potential help desk position in the future.... not sure if it would make a difference helping or not.

You are right though about the volunteer work.. no matter which kind of job I decide to choose to get by and help pay for everything I was planning to just stop in a small PC repair shop eventually and ask to volunteer... but again I thought just maybe this call center position might give me a little extra ooompf with experience even though it's medical related.. wasn't sure..
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think most would consider the call center as pseudo over the phone customer service which would be relevant for help desk. Do you have any customer service experience currently?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I do not have any customer service experience that's why I was thinking of taking this job over something else in hopes of someone in the future looking at it as me now having that experience :)

edit: but I guess cashier or caregiver position could also technically be customer service as well... I don't know.. maybe I am over thinking this too much. It would just be a bonus if I could find a job that could help benefit me just a little bit in the future..
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Heh. I'm a 120 pound 5'6 woman so that didn't matter. Most security jobs are just sitting at a post. Event security is much different and can be a lot more tiring.

Also check out small computer shops, independent contracting like Onforce.com or Workmarket.com, and other little things you can do on the side to get some experience under your belt
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The call center would be much more relevant than cashier and caregiver for a help desk. It's important to be a good communicator over the phone and customer service is gold for the role. Customer facing PC tech would be relevant but not so much back room unless you are doing a lot of software.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Take the call center job, no question. If I'm interviewing two people for a help desk position, one with call center experience and one who was a cashier, I know who I'm going to pick, all else being equal. Hint: It's not the person who was scanning my groceries a week ago.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your responses

ratbuddy wrote: »
    Take the call center job, no question. If I'm interviewing two people who a help desk position, one with call center experience and one who was a cashier, I know who I'm going to pick, all else being equal. Hint: It's not the person who was scanning my groceries a week ago.

Thank you for giving me a good laugh! :)