End Users strike back?

jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
Hey everyone, I was just reading through my daily dose of Network World and it seems that someone bothered to ask the end user what they think about the IT Guys (like we care what they think icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Anyway, here is a link to the article...Enjoy!

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/071706widernet-end-users.html?t5
Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What a bunch of users!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice article. Customer service is just as important as technical skills when it comes to those that interact directly with the customer.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Cool article. I do hate it when IT tries to hide resolutions from other IT staff. I think that is funny.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    On the last part about teaching users to fish. I have gotten flack for that by resellers that are supposed to understand IT. I try to show them why they are doing what they are doing and they get mad. "Just tell me what to do" they say. Then I have to repeat what I said because they forgot, because they didn't learn the logic behind it.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I have to say I have been lucky at my job with the users actually remembering what I tell them (if it is something simple that they can try first) and a lot of times, when they see me, they're like, "Hey, my computer did such-n-such, but I did what you said and it is working now."

However, we all have the "other" user, and I won't even get started on that...

Glad you guys like the article, I thought it was interesting to hear the other side... icon_wink.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
    And the part about IT clients not liking being called users. Well, that's what the OS's call them, so what else can we call them? Complain to MS, Linux, Unix and Novell about getting that term changed.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are some users who could be good fishermen, and there are some content to stand in line to have a plate of fish handed to them.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I'll have the salmon steak with lemon-herb sauce please.
    Oh, and wild rice on the side.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ummm now I am hungry.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I liked how since the IT Manager know that someone went to the party it automatically meant that the IT Manager was reading his email. I guess IT Managers aren't allowed to be involved in office gossip.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete