80 hours in 8 days legal questions

2»

Comments

• yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    If the pay is right it's not a big deal. I am salaried and some weeks I work 80 hours in 5 days. Employment laws are stupid on both sides of the fence. If the pay is right great if not quit or don't take the job. Now, if they had you working hourly and were paying 40 hours for 80 hours of work that is something entirely different.

Agreed.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While hard work does pay off if you are making a good salary and doing it occasionally is bearable. Doing it for 6 months straight for $15/hr entry level noc job seems like a setup to failure.

It get's even worse, a recruiter from a different company contacted me today about 6x12 and 1x8 then 7 days off, this was an entry level help desk position at a 24 hour call center for a large international company.

I wonder if I should just give up on recruiters given the unfit positions they've been offering lately. Then again I've only had 3 interviews this past month contacting companies and I'm getting 2-3 recruiters a week, the past 3 weeks.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even though I still find those kinds of schedules alluring, I would not consider them for $15 an hour. This is the first I remember pay being mentioned in this thread, but I expected the compensation to be much better.
    $15 is about average around here for entry-level and it sounded like something I really wanted to do. I would have taken it if the hours weren't going to lead to me quitting before the contract expired.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    Data Center Generalist* Job job - 3M - Maplewood, MN | Indeed.com another ridiculous hours job that's network related, either I'm focusing on the wrong area in IT or I'm in the wrong state. Nearly everything network related around here has been very unconventional schedules lately.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    philz1982 wrote: »
    But thats just it legislation does limit you. Companies wont create or will poorly fund positions due to legislation. I know this first hand because i sit on our staffing calls.
    I hear what you are saying but hear me out...
    tprice5 wrote: »
    I welcome any type of legislation that limits their ability to take advantage of us.
    As a libertarian, it pains me to even utter these words. The distrust I have for the government is on par to that I have for corporations. Unfortunately, I feel legislation is the only thing protecting me. If I cannot support labor laws for fear of the adverse effect it has on job creation, what alternative do I have? What other 'checks' are in place that limit a company from mistreating its workers?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    I don't think the USA will ever force companies to stop mistreating employees life/work balance without a drastic change. Historically it has been unions that have pushed labor laws, they are shrinking considerably and seem to be pushing for longer hours, the medical field is an example. Is there a lawmaker that puts in 1000 hours of work a year? If they aren't regularly working long hours or know anyone else that is do you think they care?

I had a feeling this was going to snowball around here after seeing a few large companies doing it. I haven't seen a network position at a large company that didn't list long hours/weeks in about a month.

Looking briefly at labor laws around the world, these hours would be mandatory overtime in a lot of countries like australia, canada, japan and most of eu.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    techfiend wrote: »
    Data Center Generalist* Job job - 3M - Maplewood, MN | Indeed.com another ridiculous hours job that's network related, either I'm focusing on the wrong area in IT or I'm in the wrong state. Nearly everything network related around here has been very unconventional schedules lately.

From the article ...
    - Work a rotating shift that includes days, nights and 2 weekends a month
    - 12 hour shifts (6:00AM – 6:00PM, 6:00PM-6:00AM)
    - Day and night shifts rotate every two weeks

This position had better pay handsomely. With the demand of the skills listed in the job description, I can't imagine anyone being in a position where they would want/need to take this job. Hopefully they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to fill the spot and hire some inept recent graduate whom ultimately makes a mistake and forces the company to reevaluate their staffing and scheduling policy. Regularly altering your sleep schedule like that is not healthy. I would like to see legislation to address this. Something along the lines of ...

"An employer shall not modify an employee's schedule to an extent that would force the employee to alter their sleep schedule by +/- 3 hours more than once in a 30 day period"
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    I don't know what employees make but I was pursued by a contractor for 3M help desk at a well below average wage.