SSM and bidirectional PIM

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
I understand for SSM, the receiver must know the address of the source(s), but I want to learn these two protocols in detail. I have both the "Deploying IP Multicast Networks" and "Routing TCP/IP Vol 2", however these books do not cover either of these multicast implementations. What is the best document you have found on both explanation and deployment of these Multicast models?
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would head to ciscolive and check out the Advanced topics in IP Multicasting sections.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Use a Vendor or DOC-CD
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    EDIT: Ignore me, you've got this book already.

DocCD if the book doesn't cover it.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    http://www.amazon.com/Interdomain-Multicast-Routing-Practical-Solutions/dp/0201746123 is the best resource in my opinion.

Is there something you are not understanding with SSM or Bidir-PIM that we can help with? Once these topics "click" for you they are actually pretty simple compared to traditional sparse-mode implementations in my opinion
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dense mode, DENSE MODE FOR ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    silver145 wrote: »
    dense mode, DENSE MODE FOR ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

This reminds me of an infrastructure architect that I knew that tried telling me there was no functional different between sparse and dense mode. He had this massive multicast-heavy enterprise configured with dense mode in the data center (Cat 6500's in the core and distribution - you can't get away with that crap with the Nexus 7Ks) and in their corporate offices.

Oh and he also didn't put any storm control in place. I died a little inside when I saw the configs. *sniff*
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This reminds me of an infrastructure architect that I knew that tried telling me there was no functional different between sparse and dense mode. He had this massive multicast-heavy enterprise configured with dense mode in the data center (Cat 6500's in the core and distribution - you can't get away with that crap with the Nexus 7Ks) and in their corporate offices.

Oh and he also didn't put any storm control in place. I died a little inside when I saw the configs. *sniff*

Sounds like my kind of Hero!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah because flooding your network and pruning crap that is useless to most receivers is such an efficient use of resources.

I'd have died a little too.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lrb wrote: »
    Is there something you are not understanding with SSM or Bidir-PIM that we can help with? Once these topics "click" for you they are actually pretty simple compared to traditional sparse-mode implementations in my opinion

I think I have SSM down. It seems that receivers learn the source of the traffic via some type of out of band method. As for bidir, I just don't see the need for all shared trees. It seems it would only be applicable if you have multiple hosts running as a sender and receiver simultaneously. Reading this now:
    http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/multicast-enterprise/prod_white_paper0900aecd80310db2.pdf
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    It seems it would only be applicable if you have multiple hosts running as a sender and receiver simultaneously.

Bidir-PIM is the tool for that very purpose :)
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    As far as "some type of out of band method", think of IPTV where set-top boxes are running an application that tells them a source has multicast groups associated with channels: something like 239.0.0.101 = CNN, 239.0.0.102 = BBC, etc... or in a Draft-Rosen MVPN scenario in which BGP is used to share MDT information.

Bidir-PIM is useful for a couple of scenarios. It can be good to memorize those book answers of multiple senders/multiple receivers... etc... but thinking about real world implementations:

Search for an SRND on multicast and trading floors. Some good examples for using bidir and phantom-RP for high resiliency and low-latency.

Another (the most significant) trait of bidir, is the fact that there is no state information eating up the resources of routers throughout your network. When you have statically defined RPs, and those are the same for everything (shared trees), always... there is not ginormous mrib being maintained. Think of a large SP providing MVPN services to thousands of customers... that's a lot of state to maintain in your network. This is the 'why' to the "many sources, many receivers" answer.

HTH