CCNP Route Simplified book

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm really annoyed with how big this book is. I feel like 5 year old reading a dictionary every time I pick it up. I have been bouncing back and forth between the FLG and Simplified and may stick with the FLG due to size alone. I tossed it on the front seat of my Type S this morning going to work and it triggered the Airbag Light because of the weight. Ok, Rant over!
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hahahahahahahahha That's awesome. Yep, it's a beast of a book but it has great content. It hurt my neck to continue to look down to read the book so I ended up buying a book holder to read it since it hurt my arms to hold it eye level. This is what I bought: Office Depot Brand Book And Copy Holder Black by Office Depot
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hahahahahahahahha That's awesome. Yep, it's a beast of a book but it has great content. It hurt my neck to continue to look down to read the book so I ended up buying a book holder to read it since it hurt my arms to hold it eye level. This is what I bought: Office Depot Brand Book And Copy Holder Black by Office Depot

Ha, You must look like a priest giving a sermon with that thing! "On the first day, Man created EIGRP!"
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Probably but it got the job done. I liked FLG but it wasn't nearly as descriptive as Route Simplified
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    I was halfway through the OSPF chapter last night and I think I time traveled for a bit. Luckily the book the book is big enough to hold my head.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    My second favorite book next to Routing TCP/IP Vol I. I would recommend coming back and reading this book after you finish your CCNP, not a full re-read just a quick refresh. Some of the finer details in the book can be very useful not only in the field but in an interview, this depends on the role obviously.
    My go to book right now is CCNP Routing and Switching Quick Reference. I used it to pass my switch exam and leaning on it again for Route. If the FLG and Simplified books are the 5 Gallon jug of Orange Juice then the Quick reference is the Minute Maid in a can concentrate. 10 minutes of the quick reference guide is worth 2 hours of the other books. 1000 pages of route is way too much to soak in. I also have all the CCNA/CCNA-S/CCNA-V/CCNP-R/S portable command guides on my desk at work. I always find my self using them if I forgot something.
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Do you guys think this will be worth reading for the new CCNP exams?

All the simplified books seem to have good reviews but I can't see that there is/will be a new edition published. I've tried to contact the publishers to find out but as yet have had no response.
  • jaychou_ukjaychou_uk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alex90 wrote: »
    Do you guys think this will be worth reading for the new CCNP exams?

All the simplified books seem to have good reviews but I can't see that there is/will be a new edition published. I've tried to contact the publishers to find out but as yet have had no response.

I've asked them mate, he confirmed he wont be releasing new CCNP books people tend to stop after CCNA.
    I have the FLG, Cisco Press Route and Simplified. I started with the Cisco press then Switched to the Simplified and over to the FLG book. I hate them all, I'm finding NP Route the most boring of any Cisco thing I have studied for. I'm learning a lot but its a complete grind. Maybe the new 2.0 books will be more interesting. There is just nothing in Route where I have said "wow that's cool and I'm going to use that right away".
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I hear what you are saying, but then again you have to ask yourself this.

1. Are you in the right job?
    2. Are you interested in another part of IT?

Cause the reality is that if you aren't using these skills they will be gone so fast you will wonder why you wasted so much time learning them, when you could be doing something you enjoy and you do everyday or working to do everyday.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reading is the easiest part. Sounds like you're not really into it, why are you pursuing CCNP status in the first place?
    I think that's what my issue is. My job is more Firewall/VPN router builds. Tunnel comes up, OSPF neighbor comes up, Import the router into Solarwinds, SNMP traffic is flowing and then I do the hand off to our NOC. The amount of knowledge to make Route work vs. what you have to know to pass the exam are miles apart. Learning all the Frame Relay for the exam just seems like filler for the Route exam. The BGP and Branch office stuff has been the only part that has my attention. I do see why people stop at CCNA and just rely on experience for the rest of their careers. The CBT nuggets hit the nail on the said saying that you can do the basic config to make the routing work and never have to go any deeper then that but for the exam, its more then just knowing the basics.
    You have to ask yourself, do you want to move into an environment where you would use those skills? That is what you're currently doing now, but thats not all there is. If you make the move towards a larger enterprise network or a more challenging role you'll find yourself using most of the skills learned during your CCNP. Not all the fancy router tricks or advanced BGP features but most of the advanced IGP and switching features.
    My 3 year plan now is to finish my CCNP and just to rack up as much experience as I can in my current Engineer role. My company is currently growing by leaps and bounds and there is currently no Sr. Position above me. We have 8 engineers on our IT side but its just me on the new side. I have to make sure that I have my credentials in place so when the time comes I have the resume to support a Sr. title.
    Anyone using the GNS3 Route book? I read through the free pdf version and it seemed pretty good. I'm looking for some BGP labs to work on.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    101 Labs for the Cisco CCNP Exams: Farai Tafa, Paul Browning: 9780956989208: Amazon.com: Books

Best book I found for CCNP labs. Has everything you should need.

http://www.hh.se/download/18.53cc3a9212c99c4ab2b80001119/1341267641017/en_ROUTE_SLM_v6000.pdf

Here's a free one as well. The official Cisco ROUTE lab guide.

Good Stuff! This should keep me busy.