Building a CCNP Lab

wwilson1603wwilson1603 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have decided to build a home lab. After searching on craigslist I found a guy selling 5 3725 routers, and 1 3750 switch for about $300 total. I did all my CCNA studying using Packet Tracer, so I would like to get more hands on experience. Does this seem like a good deal, or should I look at other kits?

Comments

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5 3725 are about the size of a mini fridge. Depends on what IOS version and Memory is pre-installed. Is the 3750 a L3 or L2 switch? If it is a L3 switch then I would buy it all for $300. If you ever decide to eBay the routers, it will cost you about $50 a pop in shipping to sell them. I would say take the $300 and buy 3 1841's, 1 3550, 2 2950 switches on eBay.

Hey Tech exams mods, The time stamps are wrong on the posts. Might want change it to Daylight savings time.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    You can run virtual routers which makes it more or less pointless to buy routers. If you want physical boxes, buy 3550/3560/3750 switches since they can do stuff that can't be done on a normal PC.
  • sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    I was always a physical equipment guy and always wanted to stock pile gear for a lab.

For Route I decided to lab in GNS3 and I can say that I was wrong. GNS3 can do everything when it comes to Route studies it really is fantastic.

As far as switch, in order to cover everything I would suggest grabbing some 3550's and or 3560's.

That being said the newest version of packet tracer can do most CCNP Switch topics which is great.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    sucanushie wrote: »
    I was always a physical equipment guy and always wanted to stock pile gear for a lab.

For Route I decided to lab in GNS3 and I can say that I was wrong. GNS3 can do everything when it comes to Route studies it really is fantastic.

As far as switch, in order to cover everything I would suggest grabbing some 3550's and or 3560's.

That being said the newest version of packet tracer can do most CCNP Switch topics which is great.

Spot on. Packet Tracer does most of the topics etc. However, it's great to get some experience on physical gear. I have purchased a 2950 and a 3500 series switch (can't afford any L3 switches) but something like this should suffice.

2950 does Port-Sec, PVST, .1x and a few other cool things which would be great to see and play about with hands on. You can pick them up fairly cheap to.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you absolutely must have gear, pm me, I'm actually selling off my stuff now.