MTA 98-349, What should I expect?

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
I work at a MSP help desk doing all types of end-user support in a Windows 7 environment. I have an Associate's degree in IT as well. I'm going through the Microsoft official study guide for 98-349 and so far it seems pretty easy. Is the test all multiple choice? I'm assuming there aren't many questions?

I bought made an appointment for next Saturday. My job requires a cert to be able to get promoted (any cert) so I'm just grabbing the easiest one for now before I move on to studying for my CCENT and CCNA.

I searched the forum and it seems like it's pretty unanimous that this test is easy. I just never like being too cocky. Any other tips to passing this?

Comments

• SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely overstudied as well.. it REALLY is that easy..

I will send you a PM with the resources I used..

-scott
  • tweaker013tweaker013 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I definitely overstudied as well.. it REALLY is that easy..

I will send you a PM with the resources I used..

-scott
    I also work at a helpdesk in the Netherlands. And I'm going to take de 98-349 exam. Can you help me plz with the resources you used. Thanks in advanced.
  • bohdibohdi Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the official WILEY textbook which came with gmetrix practice tests, spent a week doing an hour or so reading a night and did about 7/8 practice tests. I passed a week after my textbook arrived with a score of 80, passing score was 70.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In one of the Microsoft practice tests, here was one of the questions. Are they honestly this silly?

What can Lori do to provide immediate weather forecasts?
    a.
    Place each workstation strategically by a window so
    users can simply look out the window to see what
    the weather is like.
    b.
    Print out the forecast every day and place it in each employee’s in-basket.
    c.
    Add to each user’s computer display a Weather gadget configured for his
    or her ZIP code and in large view, which will display a three-day forecast
    markulous wrote: »
    In one of the Microsoft practice tests, here was one of the questions. Are they honestly this silly?

What can Lori do to provide immediate weather forecasts?
    a.
    Place each workstation strategically by a window so
    users can simply look out the window to see what
    the weather is like.
    b.
    Print out the forecast every day and place it in each employee’s in-basket.
    c.
    Add to each user’s computer display a Weather gadget configured for his
    or her ZIP code and in large view, which will display a three-day forecast

No they aren't that silly, because that is the Certiport test aimed at students... The key to using the info from those are the answer page, which has the explanation and then gives you key points...

The questions are also equally silly; just more professional sounding.
    No they aren't that silly, because that is the Certiport test aimed at students... The key to using the info from those are the answer page, which has the explanation and then gives you key points...

The questions are also equally silly; just more professional sounding.
    Ah gotcha. I will go over those key points. And I'm assuming in the actual Certiport study guide that those "Certification Ready" points on the left hand side are important also?
    markulous wrote: »
    Ah gotcha. I will go over those key points. And I'm assuming in the actual Certiport study guide that those "Certification Ready" points on the left hand side are important also?

Yeah.. it is a pretty easy test. If you have the MS Press book, it has a code for free gmetrix tests which are very very similar. If you need the code I can get it out of my book, its a generic code that anyone can use.

-scott
    Yeah.. it is a pretty easy test. If you have the MS Press book, it has a code for free gmetrix tests which are very very similar. If you need the code I can get it out of my book, its a generic code that anyone can use.

-scott

That would be awesome! Thanks. That would help me a ton.
  • gabesinITgabesinIT Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, if you could post the resources you used to study on the thread would be awesome. I'm in the process of studying for my 98-366, N10-005 and 98-349. I need all the study help I can get at this moment cause my instructor is making me take these exams tomorrow.
  • gabesinITgabesinIT Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the vendor exam and got a 64% icon_sad.gif
    SO FRUSTRATING THAT I WAS 3 QUESTIONS AWAY. At least my instructor is letting me take it again Saturday after I take the Network + exam and the Networking fundamentals exam. So much studying icon_redface.gif
    Well, I was supposed to take it last Saturday, but somehow there was some type of "glitch" and the voucher wasn't ready. So I go in tomorrow. As long as the questions aren't just completely out in left field and are relevant to my study material, I don't see myself failing.
    icon_cheers.gif I passed. Got an 86.

There were a couple questions I didn't expect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • jakkijakki Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratz!! I am going to take this exam pretty soon too, any advice on the exam? Pls PM me if you have some material that can help me too! thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't wait until the summer!! I tackle on my CCNA all summer long!!! Once you pass your Network+, your MTA Networking Fundamentals will be a breeze! Don't give up whatever you do!
  • throwawaythrowaway Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just passed as well

Some of the questions were worded strangely and some really caught me off guard... passed though
    jakki wrote: »
    Congratz!! I am going to take this exam pretty soon too, any advice on the exam? Pls PM me if you have some material that can help me too! thanks

I used the Wiley study guide and then did the tests that it referred me to on gmetrix. That gives you a good idea of what the test is about. I would make sure you have some hands-on experience too, so follow the study guide on the computer.
  • missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow this exam sounds easy I may do this next any helpful materials would be appreciated.
  • farfrmnormalfarfrmnormal Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone

I'm scheduled to take this exam tomorrow. I've taken the gmetrix tests numerous times and passed without issue. How close is the actual exam to the gmetrix tests?
    Hi everyone

I'm scheduled to take this exam tomorrow. I've taken the gmetrix tests numerous times and passed without issue. How close is the actual exam to the gmetrix tests?

Close enough-- you'll be fine. Easy exam...

-scott
  • clis24clis24 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

-scott

I have been studying for the test. I didn't do the gmetrix test before. Could you please provide me code i am trying to find out if i am well prepared for the test.