Head Hunters->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can someone explain who these are, what they do, are they available in all areas etc..

Are they like recruiters?

Thanks.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I will take a look!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another word for recruiter. Though some would say a headhunter is more agressive in "hunting" for the right person for their jobs while a recruiter might be more passive (posting advertisments, etc). Depends on who you ask.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    sprkymrk wrote:

Thanks!!! Just sent my resume to every single IT in the state! Hopefully they will pimp me out now!
    70-291 Next....
    Thanks guys appreciate it!
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Hopefully they will pimp me out now!

Pimp. That's a good way to put it, especially if it is contractual work. They send you out, you do the work, they get paid and give you a cut.
    Do they just send out for contract work or actual IT jobs?
    I see one company in the area do not charge to find you a job. They do full-time positions, however what would the pay be like? Would they take a cut?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They company for whom the search is being performed has to pay the headhunter a fee. It shouldn't cost you anything.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    ahh ok thanks.

Do people on here suggest doing this? Any experiences?
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I exaggerated a bit about the 'they get paid and you get a cut' though some organizations are structured that way.

Usually the employer pays the recruiting fees, though under some circumstances, a person looking for employment may hire an employment consulting service. It's like real estate. Usually the seller pays the commission, but sometimes buyers will hire an agent to act on their behalf.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Hey guys! I e-mailed my cousin who is a Staffing Manager. He travels for a few days (when needed) to handle the hiring for companies like K-Mart and such so that they don't have to deal with it when opening new locations. Anyway, I asked him about the Headhunters and how they work and if they work, here's an excerpt from his e-mail reply (I omitted the family-related part of the e-mail): icon_redface.gif

Headhunters definitely produce results. Getting your resume to a headhunter would only help your search. The challenging issue is, Staffing Managers like me do not want to pay them. I use them in a pinch when I have a very difficult position to fill.

The reason I do not want to use them is because they will charge me 20-25% of the new hires first year annual salary if we hire their candidate. That can get expensive. $12 grand for $50,000 salary.

Staffing Managers turn to headhunters when they have exhausted their efforts looking at the local applicant population. What headhunters do best is mine companies for actively employed candidates and convice these passive candidates that this is an opportunity worth talking about/listening to. Then they present them to me. I don't have the time to mine these employees.

The benefit of headhunters to you is they are often used to recruit for a job that will never be publicly posted. You will never know this position exists and therefore can never apply for it.

So, there you have it, right from a guy who deals with Headhunters. I didn't realize how much they could charge and I can see how it would get expensive for a company. That said, I followed the previous post and checked out headhunters in my area and signed up. If I don't have to pay for it, and it lands me a job, then I am all for it!!! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
    Thanks for the email reply - sounds good.