Options

Quick question regarding my equipment.

latexyankeelatexyankee Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Fresh off Network + passed with 828 yesterday.

I know there is much information regarding lab setups everywhere but I bought some equipment before the test was refined last fall.

I have 3x2960. I am under the impression these will still function fine for ccent/ccna.

Router wise I have one 1721. This was rrecommended to me in the spring but now I'm hearing conflicting information. I am going to purchase one more router but I'm unsure if another of this model will suffice.

If I could get a few suggestions based on what I already have that would be great. I will also be using GNS3 but I want to be hands on as well. My mobo has multiple nic's and basically everything else you can think of (Asus x79 deluxe).

Thanks to everyone on these boards with advice and encouragement. I will give back after I conquer these next two certs.

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2960's will work just fine for the ccna test. Try to upgrade the ios to version 15 though. The 1721 is a very capable router for the price. But, it only runs up to 12.4 or 12.4T version of the ios. And, only has one 10/100 lan interface. So, look for a router that has two lan interface for doing nat and pat. Most say you don't need a version 15 ios for the ccna test. But, it would be nice to have. And, if you are going to go for security certs, a router that will run ccp is necessary. And, if you go for voice certs, it would be nice to have a router that can run the newer version of cme. So, a nice to have would be a 2800 isr router, 2811/2821/2851. And, of course, they can be used for your ccnp too. to run cme you are going to need at least 512mb dram and at least 128 cf to load it, preferablly 265mb. looks like you are well set up for your ccna. Keep your eye out for a good deal on ebay. I recall someone selling them a couple of months ago for $50 with free shipping. Deduct shipping and ebay fees and they were basically giving them away. Not surprising, they sold all 50 pretty quickly.
  • Options
    latexyankeelatexyankee Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    The 2960's will work just fine for the ccna test. Try to upgrade the ios to version 15 though. The 1721 is a very capable router for the price. But, it only runs up to 12.4 or 12.4T version of the ios. And, only has one 10/100 lan interface. So, look for a router that has two lan interface for doing nat and pat. Most say you don't need a version 15 ios for the ccna test. But, it would be nice to have. And, if you are going to go for security certs, a router that will run ccp is necessary. And, if you go for voice certs, it would be nice to have a router that can run the newer version of cme. So, a nice to have would be a 2800 isr router, 2811/2821/2851. And, of course, they can be used for your ccnp too. to run cme you are going to need at least 512mb dram and at least 128 cf to load it, preferablly 265mb. looks like you are well set up for your ccna. Keep your eye out for a good deal on ebay. I recall someone selling them a couple of months ago for $50 with free shipping. Deduct shipping and ebay fees and they were basically giving them away. Not surprising, they sold all 50 pretty quickly.

Thanks for the reply,

I just opened the box the router came in (been sitting in the box since spring) and first thing I noticed was the one 10/100.

The majority seem to be recommending 1841 over 1721.

How important is the difference between 12.4 and 15? I hear so many conflicting reports. Of course I would like to have the latest version possible but is it just a few differences regarding syntax and commands?

I'll have to dig into how to upgrade the 2960's ios version. I am technical enough to google that.

Also would it be practical to use the 1721 alongside a 1841 or 2800 series? Or do you geniuses think its best to keep all models the same? I know after some trial and error I will be able to research and understand more of what I want/need but I am trying to maximize my time spent setting up and get into some labbin.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes the 1841 is a better router than the 1721. it has two 10/100 lan interfaces and will run version 15 of the ios and can be used for the ccnp. But, it is also more expensive. So, you have a trade off of capabilities vs price. If you need the capabilities, your going to pay for them. if you already have the capabilities, you can save money.
    For the ccna the differences between 12.4 and 15 is minor changes in the output of a few show commands. So, for the ccna you really only need one router that runs version 15 of the ios. Of course, you can also use gns3 or packet tracer to see what the difference is. and once you know what the difference is you don't really need any real hardware that is running version 15 for the ccna.
    here is what wendell odom says about it: IOS Version 15 for a Cisco Home Lab And, he writes books for studying for the ccna test.
    as far as having different model routers, welcome to the real world. But the cert tests don't test for the real world. Which make simulators and emulators very good for studying what you need to know and not having to deal with real world issues that aren't on the test. real hardware comes with real world problems that helps you prepare for the real world. all the same model and ios makes your studying easier. all different, you are going to learn more than what is just in the book (the hard way, by figuring it out). Which will improve your troubleshooting skills.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 1841 is better (as stated ^^^), but there is no reason you can't use the 1721 also. It has 2 WIC slots, so you could install Serial (WIC-1T or WIC-2T) / T1 (WIC-1DSU-T1 or WIC-1DSU-T1-V2) WICs and connect it to your other routers.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]