Help with command "frame-relay route"

JCQuinnJCQuinn Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle icon_redface.gif
I'm currently studying with the Sybex 5th ed, and the Boson Netsim for CCNP v6.

I'm currently having an issue with hands on lab 11.3 (for those familiar with the book)..
Trying to set up a router to run as a frame relay switch. I have started off with a fresh network map, consisting of 3 x 2600's, each link via serial.

On the middle router I have performed the following:
Router#config t
Router(config)#hostname Lab_B
Lab_B(config)#frame-relay switching
Lab_B(config)#int s0
Lab_B(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay
Lab_B(config-if)#int s1
Lab_B(config-if)#encapsulation frame-relay

no probs there... my issue occurs:
Lab_B(config-if)#int s0
Lab_B(config-if)#frame intf-type dce
Lab_B(config-if)#frame-relay route 102 interface Serial0/1 201
...........................................................^
%invalid input detected at '^' marker.

So from there my next step was:

Lab_B(config-if)#frame-relay route ?
<16-1007> input dlci to be switched

but no matter what value I use, the last digit of the dlci brings up the invalid input notification.

Any assistance in this one would be greatly appreciated.. forgive me if this has been covered before. What am I doing incorrectly? or is there some known issue with the boson netsim and this command.

Regards,
Jeremy

Comments

• mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Well, if you are using 3 routers and 1 of them is your frame-relay switch, then you are only using 2 Serial interfaces on the frame switch, right?

That means that you can only have 2 dlci's per interface - inbound and outbound.

The frame-relay route command specifies both dlci's in a single command - therefore no more are needed on each interface on this scenario.

It looks like you may need to switch over to the other Serial interface to assign a mirror image of the dlci mappings you put on the first Serial interface.
  • JCQuinnJCQuinn Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi mwgood,
    Thank you very much for the prompt reply. The comfigurations I gave are the only configurations entered in the whole network. (forgive me for not understanding anything in your previous post). The commands I gave are the very first steps of this particular lab, there are no other configurations entered prior to those which I have given.

When you said: "It looks like you may need to switch over to the other Serial interface to assign a mirror image of the dlci mappings you put on the first Serial interface."
    I'm just a little confused as I have no dlci mappings in place.
    I have not encountered any info on how to set up a router as a FR switch at all until this lab, so I am essentially flying blind in regards to the "switch" configs.

The book indicates (how ever I may be wrong) that no other configuration on the frame relay switch (or the other two routers) is required other than the ones in my post to establish the router as an FR switch.

Once again I'm sorry if i've failed to understand anything which you have said to me. Your assistance in this matter is truely appreciated.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mwgood wrote:
    Well, if you are using 3 routers and 1 of them is your frame-relay switch, then you are only using 2 Serial interfaces on the frame switch, right?

That means that you can only have 2 dlci's per interface - inbound and outbound.
    Thats not correct,you can assign many different dlci's to each interface, you may have the 2 routers connected on either side that are configured with multiple pvc's.
    It looks like a boston issue, as it will not accept the command to route between dlci's.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    JCQuinn wrote:
    Hi mwgood,
    Thank you very much for the prompt reply. The comfigurations I gave are the only configurations entered in the whole network. (forgive me for not understanding anything in your previous post). The commands I gave are the very first steps of this particular lab, there are no other configurations entered prior to those which I have given.

When you said: "It looks like you may need to switch over to the other Serial interface to assign a mirror image of the dlci mappings you put on the first Serial interface."
    I'm just a little confused as I have no dlci mappings in place.
    I have not encountered any info on how to set up a router as a FR switch at all until this lab, so I am essentially flying blind in regards to the "switch" configs.

The book indicates (how ever I may be wrong) that no other configuration on the frame relay switch (or the other two routers) is required other than the ones in my post to establish the router as an FR switch.

Once again I'm sorry if i've failed to understand anything which you have said to me. Your assistance in this matter is truely appreciated.
    Yes to setup a fr switch i generally do the following.
    set all my interfaces to default
    #default inter ser 0/0 etc
    #no ip route
    #frame-relay switching
    #int s 0/0
    shutdown
    encapsulation fr
    fr intf-type dce
    fram route 16 interface s 0/1 16

and then do the same on the other interface s0/1
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    mwgood wrote:

Thats not correct,you can assign many different dlci's to each interface, you may have the 2 routers connected on either side that are configured with multiple pvc's.
    It looks like a boston issue, as it will not accept the command to route between dlci's.

OK. Let me modify it a bit then. If you are using only 2 serial interfaces - then you only need to assign 2 dlci's per interface - which is done in a single frame-relay route command - so typing an additional frame-relay route command is simply unnecessary - which is where the simulator may be having a problem.

What I'm suggesting is switching over to your second interface to put the additional frame-relay route command there to complete the frame-relay dlci assignments.

Check out the following for reference:

http://www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_fr.shtml
    If you can read the inital post again, he hasnt even put in the first fr route.Boston is giving him an error when he tries to use the route command.He will get the same error on the other interface most probably and even if he doesnt it still wont work due to the problem on the first interface.
    Ahh. I see I misread your original question. I thought you had successfully entered 1 frame-relay route statement and that the simulator would not accept the second statement.

Now I see that it will not even accept the first statement.

That would appear to be a problem with the simulator.
  • JCQuinnJCQuinn Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you... soooooo much. You guys have been so much help.
    Regardless of the fact my command won't be accepted, the other info provided has been great.

Once again, Thank you

Jeremy