801Differentiate between motherboard components

20GT20GT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
When the 801 objectives say Differentiate between motherboard components, their purposes, and properties.

Do the also mean by sight? Are we supposed to tell them apart by what they look like?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Possibly, yes.

Whatever appears on the objectives a candidate should know and/or understand. Think grammar school writing, if you can describe the part, you will likely also know what it looks like or there would be no way to identify that part.

And frankly, as a technician, would you not want to know what a part is called when providing service? How will you talk to vendors, other peers, or even write up you bill to the client...would you call it a chingadata or a widget? I would hope not.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will more than likely be identifying, for example, the processor socket, SATA connections, back-plate, RAM modules and PCIe card slots and their different types. There will be much more but I cannot remember it all lol. Just make sure you know your way around a MOBO.icon_thumright.gif If you have been in school for any kind of Computer Sciences program and used testout it will be very similar but with better labeling IMO.

PS: testout = crash.gif
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • hisesahisesa Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes! know what cwshellhamer said, then add all the different types of power connection sockets you could run across on a motherboard. Best of luck to you, let us know when you pass!!
  • 20GT20GT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NP and good luck :)
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University