protocol question

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
how well do u have to know slip, ppp and l2tp for the exam?

also regarding security questions...do you have to know the security protocols like chap etc in depth or not?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    nel wrote:

also regarding security questions...do you have to know the security protocols like chap etc in depth or not?

I don't recall having too much of any of those on the exam... icon_confused.gif

Take a look through the posts here and find ones that have a subject with the word "Passed" in it and read through those, most people will post right after passing and usually give some hint as to what they faced on it. Obviously, we can't go into detail, but you should find enough on there to get an idea of what to expect...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nel wrote:

Know that slip is old, ppp is most common, l2tp is for VPN's and uses port 1701.

You need to know the basics of security protocols only, nothing in depth.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you know at least the information in the following TechNotes, you should be able to answer most if not any question you could get on these topics:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/ras_sec_prot.shtml
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Agreed. Know what they are, why/when they are used, etc. Nothing fancy.

Comptia has Sec+ for going into details on those.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys......

....maybe i am just stressing abit because i have my exam soon!
    and the areas mentioned arent my greatest strength!

i am just going through the exam cram2 question book which comes with 650 questions and some of them look truley in depth! which is why i am starting to worry just a little bit!

but if the net+ exam is anything like the a+ then the questions wont be greatly indepth at all!

....any comments on my last statement?

• jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    nel wrote:
    but if the net+ exam is anything like the a+ then the questions wont be greatly indepth at all!

....any comments on my last statement?

Just depends on what you know and what you do. I found Network+ to be a relatively easy exam and I felt the same about A+ (both parts). But I have long history with computers, and I think tackling (not successfully) some CCNA material first, made Net+ even easier to understand.

You'll be fine, if you are taking practice exams, make sure you are getting 90% or better on those and the real exam will be, I won't say easy, but not as scary...

Good Luck! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for that....

funnily enough i took the ccna1 module this yr (just the course material) thats why if i get hammered on the osi i probs wouldnt mind! (well not that much lol :))

its just im worrying about remote protocols and security!

any tips on these two?

• 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got 1 question about l2tp, don't recall any ipsec, ms-chap, or chap
    The sky is the limit!