CCNA Lab Equipment Question

Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know there are several threads on equipment, and I have read them, but I did not see anyone post about the models I have access to. Please let me know if these routers and switches will be helpful to me in my journey through CCNA and beyond.

I have access to these for free from my workplace replacing them, so they cost me nothing at all. If they will work, please let me know, if they won't I am more than happy to order some replacements.

I have:

Cisco 2960 switch x 6
Cisco 2610 router x 6
Cisco 3500 series switch x 1, will update with exact model number
Cisco 800 series switch x 3: 851 x2, 861 x1
Cisco ASA 5510 x 1
Going back to school to finish my B.S.
Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just about any Cisco gear will work for the CCNA level.

I don't personally recommend specific equipment for two reasons. Mostly at the CCNA level it's not that important. Second I think you learn a ton when you try to figure out what each model is good for. I probably learned more shopping for my lab equipment then I did using it. If given the choice I do prefer the 1841 routers but I only have one of them, it's small and quiet.

You can find information on the specific equipment on cisco's website. It's usually a question of which IOS it will support. If you can get one that supports security features that helps. In GNS3 I used this IOS c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin for my routers. However on all of the equipment I bought I actually left them with whatever was on them since it helped me see the differences as I was working on labs.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2960's are great for the ccna. But, you only need two. sell/trade the others for better routers.
    the 2610's are better than nothing, but are in the not so good catagory. the basic unit only has one 10mb ethernet port. So, cant do nat/pat or intervlan routing. also no real support for ipv6. Maybe you have network modules with more interfaces or wics to be able to frame relay, you don't say.
    3500 don't bother turning it on. not that useful
    800 series. if it is 870 or greater good. They have the ethernet ports to do nat/pat and intervlan routing. But, no serial interfaces for doing frame relay.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3 2960s are cool. Try to find some 2620XMs cuz they support IPv6 (with enterprise IOS) If not, make sure your routers have c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T2.bin so VLAN router on a stick works. IPbase does not support ROAS.

HARDWARE IS COOL.. It's the right thing to do.. Lot's of folks around here only do Packet Tracer, but PT only supports a minuscule amount of commands and PT people don't have a clue on how to construct cables.

You're doing the right thing.. Good job
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I updated the OP with the model numbers of the 800 series routers I have. I also have a security appliance, i know that will not be of much use for CCNA, but anyone know if it will help down the line for future certs like CEH or other certs?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Asa is good for any Cisco Security certs or if you want to test pentesting methods and how they can trigger an IPS. So I would hold on to the ASA especially being a 5510 as those can be pricey to acquire.
    Keep the asa5510. they do sell on ebay for $500 and up. But, there is always the depreciation factor. Sell it now being your not using it. Buy another one in a few years when you need it, for half what you sold it for.
    The asa would be good for your ccna. acl's, nat and pat is what they do. it would have a steeper learning curve than a router though.
    Thank you, I think i'll hold onto my ASA, as it didn't cost me anything, and I will be moving onto Security+ and CEH following CCNA. Now, I just need to read through the threads again to see which routers I need to buy online.
    There are 3 things a good CCNA lab should have
    • A router with 2 Ethernet ports to do NAT and PAT (on the low end this would be 26x1XM routers)
    • A 10/100 Ethernet port for interVlan routing (on the low end this would be 1721,1760 routers, and the above routers)
    • 3 routers with 4 serial ports for doing frame relay (you need enough serial wics and cables)
    Better routers would be the 1841 and the 2800 isr's because they can run ios version 15. the 2800's have more features that make them useful for security and voice certs.
    So I've put a few bids on some auctions on ebay for an 1841, a 2811 and a 3560 switch. They will pair up nicely with my 2960 switches, and I am glad to learn that my ASA 5510 will work nicely for CCNA security or CCNP security should I go down one of those routes.

I guess I'll just try to sell the 2610 routers online for a few bucks while they are still worth something to help pay for my other equipment.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Now just to learn more about how much ram/flash i will need for these to run IOS 15 and to see which plugin modules I will need.
    your going to want at least 128mb cf and bigger is better. the 1841 you can get by with 256mb ram on a 2811 your going to want at least 512mb ram
    the older wic 1T (maybe your 2610's have some or a network module) or the wic dsu t1 v2 will work for the serial cards.
    The 3560 is a level 3 switch that your not going to need for the ccna. Your 2960's are good here. You'll want the 3560 for your ccnp though. So, if you can get one (or more) cheap great. if it takes 6 months to finish your ccna, then start your ccnp. The price of a 3560 could come down $50. I cant predict future prices. But, used electronic equipment isn't an appreciating asset.
    as far as the asa, I found one in the recycle bin (like the trunk of my car). But, it had the base memory specs. 256 ram and an internal 256 cf. For the newer version of the ios and other software, your going to want 512 mb ram and preferrably 1G. And, your going to want a bigger cf card or another one to put in the external slot. So, keep an eye out for those
    and if your not in a hurry to get equipment. Start studying with your 2960 switches and learn the switch technologies. The resale market is somewhat driven by the education cycle. Students buy in the fall and in the early spring. no one is buying around new year's (between sesmesters) or in the summer. And, just like economics 101, less demand means cheaper prices. So, if you wait a month or so on those routers, you're likely to get a better deal.
    I actually found that the 2821 is cheaper online at the moment than the 2811, I guess due to people looking for the 2811 for labs, it drives the price up on them. So I've placed a few bids for 2821's instead, with 512mb ram and 128mb flash cards.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MMMmmmmmmmmmm ASA 5510.

I love ASA's, damn cool boxes. I have a 5505 though it's not part of my lab at the moment.
    yes that is right about the 2821 and 2811. the 2811 is 1u in height, where the 2821 is 2u and weights more. So, shipping a 2821 is more expensive. The same is true for the 2851 (and they have gigabit ethernet ports). If you can do a local pick you can save with them.
    I actually have access to a second ASA 5510 and 2 netgear prosafe switches. I am not sure what value they would be though, any ideas?
    some labs for cisco security certs do require 2 asa's
    Really? Those things are like $500 and up I believe. There is no way I would pay that much for equipment just to practice on for a certification. I am sure glad I have access to them for free. Ok, so I'll hang on to both of them for later on, I do plan on either going down the CCNA:Security path or the CCNP:Security path, not sure how high I want to climb the ladder yet, once I get past CCNA, I'll make the choice.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Paulieb81 wrote: »
    Really? Those things are like $500 and up I believe. There is no way I would pay that much for equipment just to practice on for a certification. I am sure glad I have access to them for free. Ok, so I'll hang on to both of them for later on, I do plan on either going down the CCNA:Security path or the CCNP:Security path, not sure how high I want to climb the ladder yet, once I get past CCNA, I'll make the choice.

You wouldn't pay $500 if it resulted in an extra $1,000+ per year in salary? Anyways the CCNP might require two Asa's and I would imagine the CCIE does. A lot of people are using 5505s because as already said 5510s are more expensive.
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    You wouldn't pay $500 if it resulted in an extra $1,000+ per year in salary? Anyways the CCNP might require two Asa's and I would imagine the CCIE does. A lot of people are using 5505s because as already said 5510s are more expensive.

If I was already at that level, I think I would lay out for one ASA, but two is kinda a big bill, but then again, once I am done I would resell them for close to what I paid I imagine so not much of a loss I guess. I am just happy i have two already I can use for free.

So I purchased on ebay in the past few days:
    3 - 2821 w/ 512mb ram and 128mb flash
    1 - 2811 unknown ram and no flash w/ WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 ( I placed a best offer, and didn't think they'd accept it but they did)
    1 - 2811 unknown ram and no flash w/ (1x) 1DSU-T1 & (1x) 1B-U (again I placed a best offer, and didn't think they'd accept it but they did)

To add to the items I have already:
    6 - Cisco 2960 switch
    3 - Cisco 800 series switch: 851 x2, 861 x1
    2 - Cisco ASA 5510

I know to use the 2811's, I will have to purchase a 128mb flash card for each, as well as find out how much ram is in them when I get them, and bring them both up to 512mb of ram. Is there any other cards or items I would need for these, I want to be prepared for CCNA:Security or CCNP:security?
    The (1x) 1DSU-T1 won't work in a 2800. only the v2 version does. The bootup diagloue will give you the amount of ram or a show version. They came from the factory with 256mb ecc memory (unless they purchased more). They will work just fine with non ecc memory. You can get some pc2700 (or better) ddr1 512mb sticks. You can get them cheap at a pc recycle place.
    Just need some serial interfaces (and memory) for the ccna. And, update the ios to version 15. For security your going to want to get cisco's ccp (cisco configuration professional) software working. And, get the software on the asa's upgraded (probably). But, that can wait until you finish your ccna.
    got yourself a really good lab going there.
    most people use the asa 5505's because they run about $200 each.
    clarson wrote: »
    The (1x) 1DSU-T1 won't work in a 2800. only the v2 version does. The bootup diagloue will give you the amount of ram or a show version. They came from the factory with 256mb ecc memory (unless they purchased more). They will work just fine with non ecc memory. You can get some pc2700 (or better) ddr1 512mb sticks. You can get them cheap at a pc recycle place.
    Just need some serial interfaces (and memory) for the ccna. And, update the ios to version 15. For security your going to want to get cisco's ccp (cisco configuration professional) software working. And, get the software on the asa's upgraded (probably). But, that can wait until you finish your ccna.
    got yourself a really good lab going there.
    most people use the asa 5505's because they run about $200 each.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help in this thread! I am glad to hear it doesn't require special ram, i can find that stuff anywhere.
    if you want the kind of memory that cisco delivers it with (unbuffered ecc) it is harder to find. But, it will work just fine in a lab environment with non ecc memory (unless your looking to get a support contract). you just need a rack to put all your equipment into. Some rack mount pdus to connect up the power. and a bunch of cables to connect them all together. and some headphones so you don't have to listen to all those fans running.
    same goes for the asa's pc3200 (or better) ddr1 memory stick will do.
    Hello fellow exam preppers. Thank you all for your help once before, but I was not able to get studying over the holidays. Life just got way to busy. But here I am back at it again with all my new gear setup on my rack. I have a few more questions though before I dig in for my CCNA that I need help with. Please keep in mind, I am shooting to hit my CCNP Security, so I want any gear I purchase to take me though that level. No need in buying something that won't work at the higher levels.

I have:
    3 x Cisco 2821 Routers (512mb DRAM, 128mb Flash Card, No WIC Cards, IOS 12.4)
    1 x Cisco 2821 Router (512mb DRAM, No Flash card, 1 DSU T1 V2 WIC, IOS 12.4)
    3 x Cisco 2610 Routers (Unknown Ram, No Flash needed, 1 DSU T1 WIC, Unknown IOS)
    4 x Cisco 2960 Switches (IOS 12.2)
    2 x Cisco ASA 5510 (Unknown DRAM, No Flash Card, No WIC Cards Needed, Unknown Software)
    Plenty of power cables
    Plenty of straight cables
    Plenty of console cables
    Can make any crossover cables I need

I Still Need:
    Layer 3 Switch(es)
    DB9 to RJ45 Converter
    3 x Flash Cards (2 for ASA's, 1 for 2811)

Here are my questions I have been googleing but can't find answers to:
    1. How many WIC cards will I need per router, I assume just 1?

2. Any thoughts on an access server like the Digi cm 32 from Ebay for $55 vs a spider of cables like this item from Gearmo, I am leaning toward the access server?

3. Should I try to hunt down a source for newer IOS or just leave the routers at 12.4?

4. How many layer 3 switches for CCNP level, I want to make sure if I buy one, it will take me to the next level, I'm thinking the Cisco 3560?
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    There is nothing wrong with using 26xx NON XM in CCNA lab at all, XM isn't required. Also, 100mpbs isn't necessary either for lab, as you still use serial modules anyway unless you plan on routing your home internet connection through these it's not an issue. The models you want are 2611/2621 , basically the ones with TWO ethernet ports vs. 1 but it's not a big deal anyway.

There is a pretty BIG and detailed thread on CM32 here in this forum :)

1 wic-1t or better yet 2t so you get two ports, is fine.
    Check out INE topology for examples on what the CCNP R&S lab is like, you can also use GNS3 for routers as you'll need quite a few for some of the labs.

For CCNA you don't need L3 switches, but you do want to have more than two. 3 L2 switches if perfect for some of the switch labs.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    JeanM wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with using 26xx NON XM in CCNA lab at all, XM isn't required.
    There is a pretty BIG and detailed thread on CM32 here in this forum :)

1 wic-1t or better yet 2t so you get two ports, is fine.
    Check out INE topology for examples on what the CCNP R&S lab is like, you can also use GNS3 for routers as you'll need quite a few for some of the labs.

For CCNA you don't need L3 switches, but you do want to have more than two. 3 L2 switches if perfect for some of the switch labs.

Thank you for the quick reply.

OK, I never noticed the thread on the CM32, must have missed it, as I've read a lot of the threads in this section.

I have several extra of the WIC DSU T1 cards, but I read that they won't work in the 2821, that I will need the version 2 cards. So I have a few of those on order.
    Hello fellow exam preppers. Thank you all for your help once before, but I was not able to get studying over the holidays. Life just got way to busy. But here I am back at it again with all my new gear setup on my rack. I have a few more questions though before I dig in for my CCNA that I need help with. Please keep in mind, I am shooting to hit my CCNP Security, so I want any gear I purchase to take me though that level. No need in buying something that won't work at the higher levels.

I have:
    3 x Cisco 2821 Routers (512mb DRAM, 128mb Flash Card, No WIC Cards, IOS 12.4)
    1 x Cisco 2821 Router (512mb DRAM, No Flash card, 1 DSU T1 V2 WIC, IOS 12.4)
    3 x Cisco 2610 Routers (Unknown Ram, No Flash needed, 1 DSU T1 WIC, Unknown IOS)
    4 x Cisco 2960 Switches (IOS 12.2)
    2 x Cisco ASA 5510 (Unknown DRAM, No Flash Card, No WIC Cards Needed, Unknown Software)
    Plenty of power cables
    Plenty of straight cables
    Plenty of console cables
    Can make any crossover cables I need

I Still Need:
    Layer 3 Switch(es)
    DB9 to RJ45 Converter
    3 x Flash Cards (2 for ASA's, 1 for 2811)

Here are my questions I have been googleing but can't find answers to:

2. Any thoughts on an access server like the Digi cm 32 from Ebay for $55 vs a spider of cables like this item from Gearmo, I am leaning toward the access server?

3. Should I try to hunt down a source for newer IOS or just leave the routers at 12.4?

4. How many layer 3 switches for CCNP level, I want to make sure if I buy one, it will take me to the next level, I'm thinking the Cisco 3560?

1) at the ccna level you need 4 serial wics. 1 wic in two routers and one router with 2 wics. For the ccnp some routers will need as many as 4 wics.
    2)
    3) 12.4 is good enough for ccna. you'll need version 15 for ccnp
    4) some say you'll need 4. at least 2 that can do private vlans, such as the 3560.
    clarson wrote: »
    1) at the ccna level you need 4 serial wics. 1 wic in two routers and one router with 2 wics. For the ccnp some routers will need as many as 4 wics.
    2)
    3) 12.4 is good enough for ccna. you'll need version 15 for ccnp
    4) some say you'll need 4. at least 2 that can do private vlans, such as the 3560.

Thank you again for joining back in the thread, you have been an invaluable help. I really appreciate your knowledge and answers.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

That will depend on how you use them. For most, 1 WIC is fine. That said, you'll probably want to use one of the routers as a Frame Relay switch. There are a couple of ways to go about this.

1. What I did was install 4 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 in a Cisco 2811. I would suggest using one of the 2821s in your case.

2. Given that you have the 2610s, you could buy an NM-8A/S for one of them. The downside of this is you would have to replace the 2 WICs you already have with WIC-1Ts and would have to buy WIC-1Ts and serial cables, which will cost more than T1 Based WICs.

I have the Digi CM32 and it works well.

For the 2610s, I wouldn't bother as you can't even put 12.4T on them. For the Frame Relay switch, the IOS doesn't matter unless you're having it pull double duty. For the 2811 and 2821s, you can upgrade them to IOS 15.1M or T. Fortunately, both use the same IOS image, so you would only need to find one image. You'll want the Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise package as the packages below that (Advanced Security, IP Voice, IP Base) don't support IPv6.

c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.151-3.T4.bin
    c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.151-3.T4.bin

For CCNP, at least 2 x 3560 or 3750. The 3560 TS Models (3560-24TS, 3560-48TS) have 32 MB of flash, allowing you to install IOS 15.0(2)SE2. The 3750 supports Stackwise, but for the CCNP you don't need to actually configure Stackwise, just know what it is, how it works, etc...

c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE2.bin
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    theodoxa wrote: »
    That will depend on how you use them. For most, 1 WIC is fine. That said, you'll probably want to use one of the routers as a Frame Relay switch. There are a couple of ways to go about this.

1. What I did was install 4 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 in a Cisco 2811. I would suggest using one of the 2821s in your case.

2. Given that you have the 2610s, you could buy an NM-8A/S for one of them. The downside of this is you would have to replace the 2 WICs you already have with WIC-1Ts and would have to buy WIC-1Ts and serial cables, which will cost more than T1 Based WICs.

I have the Digi CM32 and it works well.

For the 2610s, I wouldn't bother as you can't even put 12.4T on them. For the Frame Relay switch, the IOS doesn't matter unless you're having it pull double duty. For the 2811 and 2821s, you can upgrade them to IOS 15.1M or T. Fortunately, both use the same IOS image, so you would only need to find one image. You'll want the Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise package as the packages below that (Advanced Security, IP Voice, IP Base) don't support IPv6.

c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.151-3.T4.bin
    c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.151-3.T4.bin

For CCNP, at least 2 x 3560 or 3750. The 3560 TS Models (3560-24TS, 3560-48TS) have 32 MB of flash, allowing you to install IOS 15.0(2)SE2. The 3750 supports Stackwise, but for the CCNP you don't need to actually configure Stackwise, just know what it is, how it works, etc...

c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE2.bin

Thank you I went with the Digi CM32, haven't set it up yet but it's on the shelf and ready to get configured.

I also will keep an eye on a couple more of the T1-V2's, I have 4 now, but will watch ebay for a couple more legit ones on sale, no rush.

I also was able to procure an updated IOS, so I went with the latest version. c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M9.bin

I also will keep an eye on the 3750's on ebay, but there are several versions available, I looked on here: Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches Quick Look - Cisco but am more confused as to which version would be beneficial for CCNP level and CCNP Security as that's where I want to go with my equipment. Any suggestions or opinions?