Options

Fast Ethernet - cisco packet tracer

supertech10supertech10 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
1.Can you tell me different between fastethernet 0/0 and fastethernet 0/0/0 in cisco packet tracer?

2. can you tell me function of fastethernet 0/0 and fastethernet 0/0/0 in cisco packet tracer?

3. can i use fastethernet 0/0 and fastethernet 0/0/0 in cisco packet tracer for configuration like dhcp, ospf, routing protocol, etc?

Comments

• Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There shouldn't be a fast Ethernet 0/0/0 port. Those are all 0/0. Serial ports are s0/0/0.

You would use the serial port to connect multiple routers together or connect them to a modem from a service provider. With the DCE end towards the CSU/DSU device, and the DTE towards the router.

Hopefully someone more experienced will have a better explanation. I'm still going through a three month "boot camp" type program.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the 0/0 is the naming convention that cisco uses for it's hardware.
    0 for a fixed configuration. like the console port (line 0) or serial port on a 2500 (serial 0)
    0/0 for the slot number/port number for modular devices
    0/0/0 for the card number/slot number/port number for larger modular devices
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    XiaoTech wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a fast Ethernet 0/0/0 port. Those are all 0/0. Serial ports are s0/0/0.

You would use the serial port to connect multiple routers together or connect them to a modem from a service provider. With the DCE end towards the CSU/DSU device, and the DTE towards the router.

Hopefully someone more experienced will have a better explanation. I'm still going through a three month "boot camp" type program.

1) You can get a fa0/0/0 port, however I've not seen this in packet tracer. 2) Fast Ethernet ports are used to conneced hosts to a device or devices to a device. 3) Also depending on what device you are configuring Router/Switch depends on if you can configure DHCP, OSPF. If you are configuring fa0/0 on a Router then yes. If a switch then no, but you can configure things such as Port-Security or VLANs.

Hope this helps.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    1) You can get a fa0/0/0 port, however I've not seen this in packet tracer. 2) Fast Ethernet ports are used to conneced hosts to a device or devices to a device. 3) Also depending on what device you are configuring Router/Switch depends on if you can configure DHCP, OSPF. If you are configuring fa0/0 on a Router then yes. If a switch then no, but you can configure things such as Port-Security or VLANs.

Hope this helps.

Come on guys, As soon as you install a HWIC-4ESW card in the bottom right slot of a 2811 it becomes available.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln