Home lab Cabling Question

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
I have just got myself the following

two cisco 1601 routers
one catalyst 2900 switch.

i have a console cable for the router, but im just not sure how to connect these two routers togeather as wel as the switch. I have a X.21 DTE cable. One end of this cable has a connection for the serial 0 plug, and the other end has a connect that will fit into the yellow labled plug next to the 10baseT connection, which is ethernet 0 think, it also has an AUI lable above it.

So can i connect my two routers with this X.21 DTE cable and then plug my switch into the 10 BASE T connection and just telnet between the devices?

I understand i will need to configure IP addresses and passwords before i telnet between them but yea i just wanna know if the cable i have will work.

thanks!
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You don't connect a serial interface to an ethernet interface. The 1601 has an RJ45 10baseT interface as well as an AUI interface for Ethernet. The serial interface is blue. You would connect this to the same interface on the other 1601 using appropriate cable. One should be a DCE, the other a DTE, though depending on what's at the other end of your serial cable, you may be able to use an adapter to simulate the DCE-DTE connection.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    so i can connect the two routers using the AUI interface, then hook the switch up to the 10BASET interface?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This link might help
    http://www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml

Serial connections and ethernet connections do not mix.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    yea i didnt think that it would...

so could i hook up the routers and switches like this?

routerconfig.jpg
    [/img]
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    You'll need to use a crossover cable if you go router to router.

Also, have you considered a crossover serial cable?

For example, http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=25
    Actually yea that cross over serial cable would be much better, so that way that config would look like this:

routerconfig2.jpg

and the 10BASET connection would be my: interface ethernet 0, right?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    rakem,
    You only have one ethernet interface, eth0. See the rectangle drawn around "10baset, Ethernet0, AUI"? It's signifying that is one port and you can use EITHER connector to connect to the eth0 interface.
    david_r wrote:
    rakem,
    You only have one ethernet interface, eth0. See the rectangle drawn around "10baset, Ethernet0, AUI"? It's signifying that is one port and you can use EITHER connector to connect to the eth0 interface.

yes i understand that now... But in this diagram: routerconfig2.jpg

that configuration will work ok right, with my switch hookep up to the ethernet port and the two routers connected with a crossover serial cable?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes. I have a simular setup at home.
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
    brilliant, just got the cross over cable of ebay for 10 bucks!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net