Options

What is the normal entry level job for a CCNA?

phdillardphdillard Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've never had a job in IT. The area I live in isn't exactly a hub of technological innovation, so most of my work experience has been food service management, call centers, and at best my current position as a social worker for the state.

In the last year I have acquired my A+, Net+, and CCENT with the goal of having my CCNA and Sec+ by next summer, and maybe have started toward my MCSA.

My family and I are planning a move to somewhere in Colorado where the job prospects are better. What kind of job should I be applying for, or expect to get? I have experience tearing apart and building my own computers 2 semesters of hands on Cisco labbing, and plenty of experience with windows and android operating systems, but as I said, no job experience.

My fear is that I'll end up working a help desk or Geek Squad, and I'd rather not do that. What realistic job expectations should a new CCNA with no experience have?

Comments

• Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Evening working towards a CCNA can get you into a NOC in some places.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've had my CCNA for about a month now, but just like you, I don't have any work experience other than my home lab. I sent out my resume everywhere, and I made sure every friend and acquaintance knows I'm looking for an entry level networking position. I had a few recruiters call me so far, but no sign of an interview yet.

It's kind of disheartening considering I live in one of the major tech areas, but maybe I should give it more time.

I haven't resorted to applying for help desk positions yet, but it may be something I'll have to do.
  • Options
    vintendovintendo Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you should look into the help desk jobs, especially with no experience. It's not the end of the world, will give you experienc, may lead to a more technical role and most importantly will allow you to network with your peers. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All depends on the company you are applying for IMO. I recently started (new to IT...recent grad...CCNA) as a Technical Analyst. Anything and everything to do with the network my group/department maintains. From break/fix to racking/stacking to troubleshooting...monitoring...adding configs...adding vlans... and much more. Plus... we take care of various other equipment items/brands. Arruba...Arrista...F5...Palo Alto.... etc. I would say... do not limit yourself to applying for only NOC or Operation positions. If the job appears to be something you are interested in... apply.

Join a number of job boards... get your resume out there... the CCNA will open some doors for sure. The job I'm in now... wouldn't interview people without the CCNA... I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing... plenty of experienced people without a CCNA but... it was the baseline they set for the position.

Join LinkedIn and have a look at the companies in the CO. area... get yourself out there... stay persistent.

But... again... do not limit yourself .. apply for what you have an interest in... the extra certs you have will be beneficial IMO.

Best of luck.

Hatch
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I'm going to tell you this. You think the CCNA is world class cert and guarantees a job until you realize everyone has a CCNA. The CCNA is really an entry level cert. Some people can prosper with it with some experience or none, while others have to do more. Your odds of getting into networking with no experience or degree are very slim unless you network yourself. My advise is to include help desk jobs in your job search. You will learn alot depending what level help desk you are. Depending on the company and what level support you are there are a lot of help desk that will support networking issues.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    vintendo wrote: »
    I think you should look into the help desk jobs, especially with no experience. It's not the end of the world, will give you experienc, may lead to a more technical role and most importantly will allow you to network with your peers. Good luck!

I graduated, got my CCNA, joined my current company in a Helpdesk role (Due to me having no experience) looking to get my NP in January and looking to leave. The key that the role gives you is experience and how to troubleshoot and handle people! (Which books don't teach you).

Always planned on doing this for a year/two and then leaving and moving up more and more into where I want to be.

Good luck, and all the best.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]