A static route with the exit int has an admin distance of 0

I did a practice question which said:

Which command should you use if you want "Router" to
consider this route the most reliable?
A. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 0.0.0.255 fa0/0 <== Incorrect
B. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 0.0.0.255 10.5.4.6 <== Incorrect
C. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0 <== Correct
D. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 255.255.255.0 10.5.4.6 <==Correct

The fisrt two are incorrect because they are using the wrong syntax (They are using Wild Card masks) but the other 2 are right. Reason why i said what i said at the top of my post, is the the question asked "most reliable" and as quoted in the sybex guide:

"A static route with the Next Hop addy supplied has an admin distance of 1
A static route with the exit int has an admin distance of 0"

The question didnt specify how many to answer, if they said 2 then i would have chosen both correct ones, instead i choose the one with the Exit interface because it would have an Administrative Distance of 0 compared to the Next Hop Add with a Admin Dist of 1.

Am i correct?
Some please care to explain?

Cheers
Studying: 70-290, CCNP 1, CCSP 1

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    unwritt3n wrote:
    Is this true:

A static route with the Next Hop addy supplied has an admin distance of 1
    A static route with the exit int has an admin distance of 0

I did a practice question which said:

Which command should you use if you want "Router" to
    consider this route the most reliable?
    A. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 0.0.0.255 fa0/0 <== Incorrect
    B. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 0.0.0.255 10.5.4.6 <== Incorrect
    C. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0 <== Correct
    D. Router(config)# ip route 10.5.6.0 255.255.255.0 10.5.4.6 <==Correct

The fisrt two are incorrect because they are using the wrong syntax (They are using Wild Card masks) but the other 2 are right. Reason why i said what i said at the top of my post, is the the question asked "most reliable" and as quoted in the sybex guide:

"A static route with the Next Hop addy supplied has an admin distance of 1
    A static route with the exit int has an admin distance of 0"

The question didnt specify how many to answer, if they said 2 then i would have chosen both correct ones, instead i choose the one with the Exit interface because it would have an Administrative Distance of 0 compared to the Next Hop Add with a Admin Dist of 1.

Am i correct?
    Some please care to explain?

Cheers

Difficult to see what they require.You can interpret the question in 2 ways,
    probably the question is relating to the use of the fast eth port as the exit int.When defining an exit interface its not a good idea to do this using eth as an arp request needs to be sent each time.Best practice is to config both an ip address and an exit interface when using eth.Now you could take the other idea and thing its more to do with AD, anyway if there is a serial int take it they mean the AD.But when they mention reliable it usually is AD.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that a static route has an admin distance of 1. I don't think it matters how the static route is configured.
    A directly connected network on the other hand, has an admin distance of 0. That network is known no matter how you configure your routes: statically, dynamically, or not at all.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Danman32 wrote:
    My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that a static route has an admin distance of 1. I don't think it matters how the static route is configured.
    It does matter. Check out the * under the chart: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094195.shtml
  • unwritt3nunwritt3n Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahh well i guess im right then, coz under the chart it does say

"* A static route that points to the next hop IP address has an Administrative distance of 1. If the static route points to an outgoing interface, the static route has the Administrative distance of 0"

So really that practice question i did, should only have 1 right answer, being the one with the exit interface. Because it says which is the most "reliable"
    Studying: 70-290, CCNP 1, CCSP 1
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    unwritt3n wrote:
    Ahh well i guess im right then, coz under the chart it does say

"* A static route that points to the next hop IP address has an Administrative distance of 1. If the static route points to an outgoing interface, the static route has the Administrative distance of 0"

So really that practice question i did, should only have 1 right answer, being the one with the exit interface. Because it says which is the most "reliable"
    You are correct,