Strange job Im curious about

wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
Ok, so Ive been applying for every job I see that has A+ or ccna in its title or "technician." Today I get a callback about this job.

FLT currently has multiple positions available for qualified candidates residing in the NC area.

Our technicians earn hourly pay of $12-$13 per/hour plus on-call and overtime premiums, plus competitive full time employee benefits package. All new hires receive world class, hands-on training to take their A+ credentials to new heights. Join us and gain career-boosting knowledge of point-of-sale (POS), financial/ATM and PC/LAN equipment and related technology.

REQUIREMENTS
Skill requirements include

•Proof of A+ certification is REQUIRED!!
•Ability to be self-supervising and follow standard operating procedures
•Attention to detail and ability to meet daily paperwork completion deadlines
•Outstanding interpersonal communication skills
•Some hands-on technical support experience is helpful but not required.

They are a comptia partner, and have one nice looking website. Problem is, its repairing ATMs, cash registers, other POS based hardware. Id get a company car(after 90 days, first 90 they reemburse me at .42 cents/mile), laptop, blackberry and a company cell. All sounds well and good, however.....

ITS REPAIRING ATMS, AND CASH REGISTERS

I want to get into the IT field eventually becoming a network admin, right now I have 0 experience in IT other then my own run and gun computer repair/home network business which nets all of 100$ a month(on a GOOD month). Would this be a good position to move into for advancement in the IT field?

I feel like I would be wasting my CCNA in this position also...but then again, I cant seem to find any entry level cisco position.
70-291 Next....

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, if you're not working currently and have no experience, then maybe you ought to consider taking this job. You're going to have a much harder time finding an entry level Cisco job I'm afraid.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    ITS REPAIRING ATMS, AND CASH REGISTERS
    Well, ATMs are no longer OS/2 based - they are Windows 2K PCs (which is why they crash more often). Cash registers, on the other hand, run the gamut of PC and embedded OSs.

Properly worded, this experience could prove valuable to prospective employers. If it is with a large company like Diebold, it could provide a nice career ladder of its own.
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    It's with http://www.firstleveltechnology.com/ after looking at there career section, they have quite a few repair sections.
    70-291 Next....
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where in NC?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it. I bet one year of this will gain you valuable technical skills and will teach you stuff many of us "normal" admins never heard of. It certainly can't hurt, unless you have a better paying job right now.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    At the moment I do medical billing making 13.75/hour. It's a decent job, but no IT. So I'd be taking atleast a .75/hour cut for this job.
    70-291 Next....
    It's with http://www.firstleveltechnology.com/ after looking at there career section, they have quite a few repair sections.
    NCR is a very big gorilla in this space. You should remember that all ATMs and a good percentage of cash registers are networked. You will also gain valuable networking experience.

Once upon a time, when I did hands on work, I installed a lot of Cisco routers in ATMs. If they are remote, you need to do WAN; local to the business is LAN. ATMs also require alarms and other things.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At the moment I do medical billing making 13.75/hour. It's a decent job, but no IT. So I'd be taking atleast a .75/hour cut for this job.
    Not necessarily. If you can convince them that you are an above average candidate for this job, you might be able to negotiate the same wage to start. Or at least get them to commit to a 90 evaluation/review at which point you can get an opportunity for a raise.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Not necessarily. If you can convince them that you are an above average candidate for this job, you might be able to negotiate the same wage to start. Or at least get them to commit to a 90 evaluation/review at which point you can get an opportunity for a raise.
    It does say on-call and overtime premiums. Travel time will count as work time, too, so it may end up being overtime.
    I know the On call premium is 2 dollars/hour so it is 15$ for the on call, so that would be a jump for the week I'm on call.
    70-291 Next....
    I know the On call premium is 2 dollars/hour so it is 15$ for the on call, so that would be a jump for the week I'm on call.
    I'm not advocating this - it is just out there for consideration, but you could volunteer for all the on-call and overtime that you and your family can stand. You might be able to make more than you do now. This can get you noticed by your management, too.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd say go for it, if it's better money and will give you more experience than what you have. It might seem like a waste, it might not seem like it's going to take advantage of your talents, but it's a start. If nothing else, it seems like something worthwhile to do while you're searching out a network admin position.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If they have the same type of systems I saw Promise Keepers use at their convention, there's lots to work on and learn. They were using W2K3 as their servers, XP as the POS terminals embedded into touch screens, and the POS terminals linked to the station server via wireless.

Their system didn't seem to do online CC validations though.