I am stumped on a router!

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Team I have a Linksys 4 port router and now it's not allowing an internet connection, However the router does see my other computers on the network but does not get on-line. I have checked the Wan port and everything there is good. Both Nic card LED"S are good. When I disconnect the modem from the router and go right into my PC or any of the other PC's they get on-line just fine.
I have tried going to into the router and changing configuration settings but still nothing! Does anybody have any suggestions ?

I get the feeling I am missing something really easy.

Anybody have any suggestions.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    What test are you doing to determine that your router can see the other computers. Are you pinging to router. Can your computers see each other on the LAN? Is the rotuer receiving an IP address? Can you ping anything? Have you done a traceroute?
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, I can ping my router, I can ping other computers on my Lan.
    I tried to ping www.techexams.net and the IP adress of Tech Exams 216.12.219.37 but got no response. In addition, I can can use the net view command and see all my computers on the net work. I even went as far as to ipconfig/ release/renew but nothing happend.

Please advise
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got this problem a couple months ago with my Belkin router. Try power cycling/reset your router. If you can connect to the Internet when you plug the PC directly to the modem, it tells me that the problem is your router. If all else fail, you can call up your ISP to see if they can see your router. They might even go as far as assisting you to check the router configuration.

Good luck!
    The sky is the limit!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you call up your isp and say hi i am using thrid party hardware and cannot access the net they will basically tell you where to go because they wont support 3rd party hardware.

goto your providers website and get the exact connection settings because if they are incorrect it can screw this up, little things like using incorrect username p/w or using pppoa instead of pppoe.

obviously your router is working fine as they can see each other, is there any internet status led or description?

also if you are using adsl check your filters to your phone lines to check everything is setup correctly as if a single filter fails on your line it can easily knock your internet connection on/off.

if you do try everything possible and it doesnt work then if worst comes to worst take it to a friends copy there details into your router and then test your router on there connection - then at least this will tell you if there is a problem with your adsl port.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I agree with 12beatechie and do a router reset which takes it to default configuration. If you can connect to the Internet through the cable/dsl modem directly and the router still won't connect after a reset, you might have a bad WAN port.

A reset is the quickest way to a possible fix though. Let us know what the problem was.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the comment above is valid, but lets face it, dont just reset the thing, try and troubleshoot ur way out of it to get some valuable hands on practise in ;) it will be alot better in the long run than simply starting from scratch!

...imagine if we done that everytime a virus was released for windows ;)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can direct-connect a PC to the modem and get access to the INternet, you either have a bad router or you need to clone your PC's mac address to your router. Find out your PC's mac address (ipconfig /all) and write it down. Then go into your router's WAN config page and see if there is an option to "clone" a mac address or hard code a mac address, and use your PC's mac address here.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your router is handing out DHCP addresses there is a good sign that your wap is working correclty.. Under the DHCP settings page, you should be able to view your public IP address, that is assigned to your modem. Mine once was showing 0.0.0.0 then I had to renew it from there.. If your router doesnt receive a valid IP address from your modem, then something else is wrong.
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    This might be a little out of left field, but if your router doesn't allow you to connect to the internet, but seems to be working fine otherwise, you might want to check the cable you're using to connect it to the modem. If resetting the router doesn't work, it might not like the crossover cable that comes with the modem, and you might have to get yourself a straight ethernet cable, (or vice-versa on some routers.)

Not a likely solution, but it goes along with the number 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 rules of networking: check the wire, check the wire, check the wire, check the wire, and when you're done checking the wire, run some other diagnostics.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Seeing the other computers on the lan doesn't say much, since often these WAN routers use built-in switches that will work with a dead router.
    I have a belkin that would no longer initialize. Belkin sent me a replacement but didn't require me to send the bad one. I can use the bad one as a 4 port switch, but nothing else (except maybe as a night light).

Sometimes like PCs, these things can get screwed up where a reset is needed. If you can get to the router's web based config, then likely the PC and the LAN side of the router is good (although you could still have a bad default gateway on the PC).

If the WAN config shows the router aquired a public IP from the ISP, then the WAN side should be OK. If not, then that needs fixing.
    I found that with Verizon DSL, you have to release the IP before another host with a different MAC will be issued a new IP. Brighthouse cable internet is similar, but powering the modem off then back on, then re-aquiring an IP would work.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    If you can direct-connect a PC to the modem and get access to the INternet, you either have a bad router or you need to clone your PC's mac address to your router. Find out your PC's mac address (ipconfig /all) and write it down. Then go into your router's WAN config page and see if there is an option to "clone" a mac address or hard code a mac address, and use your PC's mac address here.

The above is the thing to check, since you said you checked the WAN port (I'm taking this to mean the light is on meaning you have a link).

Make sure the Internet is working, in general by plugging a PC directly to it.

Try to plug in your router to the internet and get an IP address assigned to it (you can see this on one of the configuration pages on the linksys admin web console). If you don't get an address, try powering off your modem, wait a couple minutes, and plug it back in, then try to renew the router's IP address. If this doesn't work, you may need to try the MAC address spoofing option. Also, check your DSL login credentials, if your using DSL.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Of course many of our suggestions depend on whether this has ever worked, or just recently stopped working.
  • gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did u fix the problem yet ? Can we know what was the problem ?

Thanks !

PS: Don't forget to document icon_lol.gif We are waiting ....... :D
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gomonn wrote:
    Did u fix the problem yet ? Can we know what was the problem ?

Thanks !

PS: Don't forget to document icon_lol.gif We are waiting ....... :D

Yup - we are very interested if you solved this.

Me, looking at the original post the first thing that comes to mind is everyone is forgetting the basics of troubleshooting. It appears to me that the router is not doing the internet connection, but that is by a modem? If so, resetting the router is a way down the line.

My gut feeling is that if you can connect when plugged in to the modem then that looks OK.

That all the machines plugged into the router can see each other leads me to believe that the router is probably OK.

We are going to take it at this stage that the router can not see the modem? That being the case ... have you tried a crossover cable between the modem and the router?

The ethos of good troubleshooting is that an orderly and progressive system is used - start at one end of the chain and work your way along until you find the break. When jumping to conclusions or not following orderly methodology we tend to bypass the issue too often icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    I guess you missed my first post for this thread. I too was focusing on whether the router got a WAN IP from the ISP. Also suggested resetting the router.

My second post asked if this ever worked. If it did, then he already has the correct cable as cables don't change themselves from one type to another. They can go bad though.
  • 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi mgmguy1,
    I just wonder if you have resolved the problem?
    The sky is the limit!
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The issue with the Linksys router was the Wan Port died. I took the router over to a friends house and it did not work either. I then went up to Best Buy and bought a Netgear Router. In less then 10 minutes I was back up and everything went well. I had that Linksys router for 4 years, so I guess it's time was up. Anyway's I love my new Netgear router. Next month I am going to add a new PC to my Lan and play with wireless side of everything.
    I can't wait!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Fats Domino
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Geez, talk about Ockham's Razor, huh? Sometimes that's how they getcha. . . the damn thing is just broken. I'm glad you got it resolved.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.