GNS 1.1 - switching support

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Does anybody knows if GNS 1.1 has better switching support than previous versions? I know that some of the commands were not supported (mostly with VLANs I think). Any info would help

Thanks

Comments

• bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I did look into this when this was just released. Looked from first glance that the switching had no improved at all! If you're studying for the CCNA Packet Tracer should be fine anyway for your stuides.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    I did look into this when this was just released. Looked from first glance that the switching had no improved at all! If you're studying for the CCNA Packet Tracer should be fine anyway for your stuides.

Uhhh, switching has improved. Did you even look at it......

But the statement about packet Tracer being enough for CCNA, I agree on.
    Uhhh, switching has improved. Did you even look at it......

But the statement about packet Tracer being enough for CCNA, I agree on.

I would say that the switching has hardly improved in GNS3 due to only one platform (3745 - which is a router image) being supported and even then most of the switching features are disabled. GNS3 is excellent for Routing but not Switching in my opinion, which is kind of a shame as I found jumping into GNS3 for several hours great for my NP Route.
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If i'm not mistaken the newest GNS3 is improved even better, go check it out.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »

CCENT for now. It's taking me forever! I need to just book it. I keep studying some things over and over
    You self-studying? Keep going at it man, that's the problem I found with the CCNA is that its the real fundamentals of networking, just keep going and make sure you have the basics down cold.
  • esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The new GNS has a better switching support, you can actually configure switches now using GNS. Though I'm not sure with all the features since I haven't really tested it out (only had a basic topology to try it).
    Anyways since you are studying for CCENT, packet tracer will be fine. Make sure you grasp the concepts! good luck!
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi
    in my opinion gns3 1.1 as better support for switching although there are some commands that do not run properly due to IOU
    images being used in linux. if u use these images the overall performance has improved a lot. if u have a Solaris machine at home u can run the IOU images with full support. for better explanation look for "route reflector" on Google.
    Gngogh wrote: »
    Hi
    in my opinion gns3 1.1 as better support for switching although there are some commands that do not run properly due to IOU
    images being used in linux. if u use these images the overall performance has improved a lot. if u have a Solaris machine at home u can run the IOU images with full support. for better explanation look for "route reflector" on Google.

It's better. But it's still not enough IMO for the NP Switch, no .1x support, PVLAN's and even basic STP. Bit of a let down to be honest. Just hope GNS3 bring out kick-arse Switching support in future releases.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IOU is pretty much it for right now. It's pretty tough to emulate catalyst switches. Supposedly CML and VIRL are eventually supposed to address this somewhat down the line.